Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting water hyacinth after herbicide

Posted by Orion60 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 18:26

Let me get your take on something. I have a large creek that runs through the back of my property. It gets choked with water hyacinth on occasion. Last year, in the spring, our county had it sprayed with an herbicide, what type I don't know. I wish they would stop it. The water hyacinth is coming back. Before they started spraying, I was able to gather up a large amount and compost it with dry leaves. My vegetable plants loved it.
My question is this. How long does a typical herbicide that is used on water plants stay around? I would like to gather a bunch more water hyacinth before they spray again, but I'm not sure a year has been long enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting water hyacinth after herbicide

Howdy. I'm not an expert like the other guys, but this forum lead me to read the Humanure Handbook by Joe Jenkins. But not for humanure as much as the miracle of composting built right. This book really laid to rest many questions about toxins and chemicals in the compost and what is best for them.

It's as if composting can cure the entire world, but only if they're built. If you build it, they will heal it. Hmmm.. kinda catchy

When in doubt, build a segregated compost pile.

o

Call the county ans ask them what they are using and how to spell it.

Then look it up and see what the characteristics are, or post the proper name here and we can look it up for you.

Because right now there's not enough info to give you an answer.

o

I talked to the county extension agent. He said the herbicide likely used was 2,4-D. He also told me that it only stays in the environment for a few weeks before it gets broken down. I figure, any byproducts from decomposition have likely been washed down stream after a year has passed.
The water hyacinth is coming back with a vengeance so I know there is little to no intact herbicide left. I'm going to start gathering and composting again before they spray again.

o

If this is new growth that has not been sprayed, absolutely it will be fine.

2,4-D is a very common herbicide used in lawn weed & feed. It will break down in a reasonable time, so I wouldn't worry about composting that material even if it had been recently sprayed. I would not use it (or treated grass clippings, etc.) directly in the garden as mulch, but in the compost, no problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here