Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushroom in veg bed

Posted by novice60 8 ATL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 18:58

Woke up this am with hundreds of mushroom in bed that I will plant tomatoes and peppers. What can I do to get rid of them. Can I still plant there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushroom in veg bed

Just rake them off and yes, you can still plant there. Shrooms in soil is NBD!!

o

Ha! Did you use mushroom compost? What did you use to create this bed, and when?

Just curious (nosey), gardengal is right....the mushrooms are nothing to worry about. That's not saying that they are edible, however!

o

rhizo I didn't do a thing...I don' think.
I did put down a grass blocker sheet and had mulch/soil brought in and placed on top of it over the winter. But, I did this for 2 other sites in the back yard and none of them have the 'hrooms.

o

Gardenga148. So, I just rake them off and plant my tomatoes? Do I have to pull them up from the root or just rake over them. Aren't they a fungus. That's not a bad thing in the garden? I don't think I would eat them either

o

The mushroom you see ain't nothing. It's the spore body of the bigger fungus that's in the soil, something you'd be like to never notice, and is something one might call a good sign of a live soil.

Go ahead and eat one, but let your next of kin have your password here so we can hear how it all turned out. Inquiring minds wanna know!

o

Fungi are an essential part of a healthy soil. You just don't normally see the fruit in large quantities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here