Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to start composting

Posted by strayer 77381 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 19:05

Hello, I have never composted but I'd like to start. I have a vegetable and herb garden, so my goal would be to add nutrients to the soil. What are the first steps I can do on a small scale to ease into it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to start composting

How big is your yard or the intended space that you think you will be composting at? That could help determine which composting methods or bins or free-style piles that you can do.

o

Start at the beginning and learn about composting. The link below is to about the best composting tutorial
I have seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting Tutorial

o

My yard is large, but the vegetable garden is small right now (about 10' by 4') and a few sunny spots here and there where I put some herbs. We have dogs, so a pile won't work.

Thanks for the link, I will read that to learn about it.

o

It sounds like you'll need a bin of some sort. You can use something as simple as a circle of wire fencing, or get an inexpensive plastic sheet type that forms into a circle, or a more expensive enclosed rigid plastic bin with a lid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here