Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltbow_gw

high potash

ltbow
13 years ago

my potash is too high what can i do to lower it?

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

In relation to? You can have a high optimum Potash soil test report but if the other nutrients are in balance with that it is not a big problem. You cannot lower the level of any nutrient in soil but you can balance what is there with others.

How much organic matter is in the soil?
    What does the soil smell like?
    How well does that soil drain?
    How well does that soil retain mosture?
    What kind of life is in the soil?

• pnbrown
    13 years ago

Nice problem to have! Get some root crops in.

• mean_74
    13 years ago

If I had too much pot ash I'd be too high too!

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

If you can't lower the river, you'll have to raise the bridge.

The thing NOT to do is add more potash. Potash/potassium (K) is produced in plant fiber, so that means don't add any sawdust, wood chips or straw, alone or mixed with any kind of manure.

Many of the posters here will say that is blasphemy, because they read in the university ag school articles that the potash is mostly bound up in the soil and isn't available for plants. Well, if you're growing with NPK-only, petroleum-based chemical fertilizers, that is probably true. Of course, those types of growers don't have 'soil' anymore because they've mostly killed it off, they just have 'dirt', a dead medium for holding plant roots.

If you have good microbial activity in your soil, they create mild organic acids that free up nutrients considered unavailable by the chemical growers.

What does that soil test say about your calcium and magnesium levels? If the calcium level is low, you can apply calcium (lime) to reduce the potash/potassium. You'll need to know your magnesium level, too, to know which kind of lime to add. Call the people who did your soil test, tell them you're gardening organically (I hope you are), and ask for some advice. Organic gardening and chemical growing get different advice, so always advise your soil test people which you're doing (label your samples and paperwork).

My soil has potash, but not much else, as the heavy rains here leach out the nitrogen, calcium and magnesium. So I have to add calcium (half dolomite lime - it contains magnesium - and half ag lime/aka calcium carbonate), nitrogen (cottonseed meal or alfalfa meal), phosphorus (bone meal or rock phosphate), a little sulfur, a little boron, and trace minerals in the form of kelp meal.

Are you familiar with those molded chip & dip trays? Your potash/potassium is in the center dip bowl, and you just have to raise the levels of the other necessities around it to a useful level.

Sue

• feijoas
    13 years ago

That'll learn me for eating at the computer, mean's post made me choke on my lunch.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor