Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OMRI Clarification - Gardner and Bloome

Posted by hops_on_pop none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 19:53

Been looking for an organic potting soil and was recommended G&B Organic Potting Soil and Blue Ribbon Potting Soil by local hardware store.

I looked them up on OMRI and saw all Gardner and Bloome products are listed as Iron Products and saw this caveat:

May be used as a plant or soil amendment only with a documented iron deficiency.

I'm very new to vegetable gardening and was unsure what ingredient would cause that listing:

Potting Soil:
All organic ingredients of fir bark, forest humus, peat moss, perlite, chicken manure, worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, with oyster shell and dolomite lime for pH adjusters.

Blue Ribbon Mix:
A composted blend of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, screened fir bark fines, forest humus, pumice, chicken manure, worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal & alfalfa meal.

I've seen a few threads on here with others that have successfully used their products and are happy with them but I want to know exactly what's going into my mix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OMRI Clarification - Gardner and Bloome

It probably has added non-organic iron in the mix...such as ferric oxide or ferric sulfate. It's a legally allowed use of a restricted substance.

One reason I advise most people who want to be organic to form their own opinions/methods on what matters to them and what limits whey want to enforce rather than going by "certified" status is because of stuff like this.

Here we go...

Okay, adding something like this to a soil, potting mix, disease/weed/pest control, or fertilizer can be approved if the product can be proven it's deficient in it and the people producing it pay for each product they want certified to be tested.

You'll also find non-organic copper, zinc, cobalt, manganese, and molybdenum in this same class of "non-organic product in a certified organic product" use occasionally.

For the most part this is allowed because we're talking about extremely small amounts of additions of things which aren't toxic (or even close to it) in the amounts added as well as aren't in danger of leaving harmful amounts of residues...as well it being hard to naturally get these substances available and balanced in many applications of use.

Some people find this sketchy...the organizations that certify as well as the industry finds it pretty much harmless even if not fully organic in full faith.

o
RE: OMRI Clarification - Gardner and Bloome

Thank you for the detailed response.

I appreciate the information and wondered if there was an ingredient that wasn't listed or if there was more to one of the listed ingredients that I didn't know about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here