Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the pH of limestone dust?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 21:34

Hi all,

I have a walking path that is topped with something I get from the local quarry called Quarter Inch dust. It has small limestone (1/4 inch) gravel mixed with very fine limestone dust. I've noticed that some plants (usually the ones that like well drained soil) creep out into the path and really seem to like growing in the 1/4 inch dust path. So this got me curious as to what the pH of limestone dust is. This is not a white powder like lime you get in a bag. The rock and dust are gray.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the pH of limestone dust?

The pH of crushed limestone that I have seen is around 8.0 something so your stone would be somewhere around the same.

o

Limestone is calcium carbonate- from which we get lime. Lime dust is... lime. Not quick, slaked, or hydraulic lime- just lime.

Do you have a normally acidic soil?

o

No my soil is alkaline clay (pH 7.6 according to a soil test I had done when seeding a new lawn) you can see gray limestone protruding from the ground all around my county (Rockingham county, Virginia.)

- Steve

o

As a geologist I'd have to know the asociate materials of the original limestone. A lot depends on the matrix (think of marble vs crumbly mortar). Probably a rating of anywhere of the high 7s to 8.6.

Remember, however, the 'dust' is not all soluble (marble vs mortar). Also, your rainwater is probably around 5.5 or even 5.3 and probably offsets any leaching out from the dust. The 'stuff' in the cracks, although sort of limey, might actually not be any more base or acidic than the surrounding soil.

You can sometimes speculate as to the ph of the soil by what weeds easily grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here