Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

Organica compost activator

shadygarden_CO
16 years ago

I am thinking of ordering some Organica Compost Activator from Gaiam.com. I heard about it today on the Oprah show, where Julia Roberts (what better source of expertise could you want?) was saying she used it and it really accelerates decomposition. Just wondering if anyone has ever used it. They said it would be finished in something like 18 days.

I just figured the REAL experts on this forum might know something about it or give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Marlene

Comments (14)

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I've never used it and have never had any problem getting compost to start on its own. I don't know for sure what it is, but it's probably either a source of nitrogen or some bacteria and fungi.

The bacteria and fungi are all around us and will find their way to the compost anyway.

If it has nitrogen in it, it's probably a lot more expensive than other sources you can get (especially since many of those other sources are free).

• west9491
    16 years ago

yeah, think about it, if you want a compost activator go to the dollar store get a 4 lb bag of generic dog food and pour it in......it will hit 140 degrees easy in no time.

• weew
    16 years ago

I've never used it and have never had any problem getting compost to start on its own. Bacteria is EVERYWHERE, you no need such thing to 'activate' it, that is a lye.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

A $3 box of blood meal or a $4 bag of rabbit food alfalfa pellets (both available at Walmart if you don't have a farm store nearby) will do the same thing for alot less money. But like the others have said, you don't really have to add anything for compost to compost. ;)

Dave

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

According to IMDB, Julia Roberts was paid $25,000,000 for Mona Lisa Smile.

I got paid a little less than that for my last project, so I'll let Julia use as much of the Organica as she wants, but I'll pass for now. If I get 25M for my next project, I may reconsider.

Nah. Even then, I'd pass.

• blutranes
    16 years ago

From the University of Illinois Extension (Materials for Composting):

"Commercial "starters" or accelerators are supposed to help the decomposition process by adding nitrogen, enzymes, and bacteria to a pile. Some people feel better putting these products in their piles, but independent tests conducted to date have not shown significant benefits. Tests conducted at universities and private research stations showed that the best compost additives are finished compost or topsoil from your yard. (Store bought soil is sometimes sterilized so it does not always add microorganisms.)"

The U of Ill offers a great site IMO that could serve as a base of information for those starting the composting adventure. For those who have the time or interest, the link below leads to the site. I trust this helps in some small wayÂ

Blutranes

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting for the Homeowner

• squonnk
    16 years ago

Julia Roberts was paid $25,000,000 for Mona Lisa Smile.

I got paid a little less than that for my last project

Ha ha ha ha ha. You and me both.

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Blutrane, you said you "hope this helps in some small way." Well, all of you helped in a big way. What was I thinking! And I appreciated the humor along the way. I knew I could count on all of you.
    Thanks,
    Marlene

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

An awfully expensive source of extra bacteria you already have.

• kandm
    16 years ago

$18 per bag + shipping!

I am so sick of celebrities jumping on the "Green" band wagon. You shouldn't drive SUVs but please ignore the items I use to promote my movies; private jets, paper products for movie posters, dvd inserts, the electricity we use for correct lighting, gas used to film on location shots, limo rides to premiers and award shows etc etc.

I remember a reporter in England asked Leonardo Decaprio is he rode a private jet there in order to promote his new environmental film. Leo got a bit snippy at someone pointing out his hypocrisy lolol.

• adirondackgardener
    16 years ago

Even the lovely Julia couldn't convince me to spend a penny, much less 18 bucks, for what I already have in my soil, my old compost or the chicken bedding.

I think it's pretty far-fetched to claim any material will give you finished compost in 18 days. Those results depend on exceptional circumstances in your composting process. Performed just right you may finished compost in 18 days though I don't believe using their product will contribute much to the process that a shovel full of old comopst, mulch or soil wouldn't do.

Don't waste your money. Find a worthy cause and send it to them instead.

Wayne

• ryanzone7
    16 years ago

Nothings better than rainwater n urine to start a pile cookin.
    Keeping it wet is the second "secret".
    ialbtc

• sdrone
    16 years ago

Whoa, Walmart has alfalfa pellets (as rabbit food)?

I didn't where where to find those; had no idea they were rabbit food. Maybe I can start up a 5 gallon bucket of alfalfa tea to use as fertilizer on roses. Hopefully Walmart has epsom salts too.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Hopefully Walmart has epsom salts too."

They do. They usually have it in two places. They have it in bags (maybe 2 lbs or so) in the garden section and they have it in smaller containers (maybe 1 lb boxes) near the pharmacy. The stuff near the pharmacy is more expensive because it's meant for medicinal use, but if they're out in the garden section, you can use the medicinal stuff.