Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raised beds where an old pool was

Posted by redd1981 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 23:30

Hey everyone this is my first post and I would like to thank everyone for all the knowledge Iv gained lurking here the past few weeks.

I have just made two raised bed gardens in an area where an above ground pool sat for abut 10-15 years and was taken out about 10-12 years ago.

should I be worried about any residual chemicals left in there?

I will add that I dug down pretty far and the soil doesnt seem to be compacted at all and there seems to be quite the colony of earth worm for something that doesnt have much for them to munch on (we filled it with pea gravel years ago for a playground).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raised beds where an old pool was

Compaction would be the biggest issue. The chemicals are long ago evaporated, leeched, and/or otherwise degraded after such a long period of time.

o

Thank you for the response.

o

If you removed the soil that might, possibly, have been exposed to the Chlorine used in the pool water then you will have removed what ever contamination there may have been, if any.
Since on of the reasons for building a raised bed is to bypass any native soil compaction that would not be a concern with raised beds, unless that same soil, un amended with organic matter, was used.

o

I have plants where an above ground pool was. The backwash dumped into another area than where the pool set. I have not had ANY problems.

o

Double post

This post was edited by wayne_5 on Thu, May 1, 14 at 13:13

o

A properly managed pool has available chlorine near what drinking water does, and a pH near neutral. Although you add a lot of chemicals over time, they're degraded to harmless by-products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here