Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
composting moss?

Posted by aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 23:49

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum.
Can you compost moss or will I end up with it everywhere? Actually it is already everywhere, want to get rid of it. Will it decompose if I compost it?
Maybe make compost tea with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: composting moss?

Moss is a good addition to the compost and it will not necessarily spread to areas where that compost is used. Moss is a first stage plant that grows most often in soils with very low levels of organic matter. Since adding enough compost, an other forms of organic matter, increases the level of humus in the soil moss won't grow in that environment.

o

• Posted by aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 18:00

Well okay then- looks like I'll be composting the front yard.
Thanks for the response.

o

Also, moss favors acid soil. You may want to get a soil test and work on raising the PH, depending on what you are planting next.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 23:59

Increased pH doesn't decrease moss.

You have moss because your climate is moderate and moist; your soil is compacted; and your front yard has excess shade.

o

I keep seeing this "moss favors acid soil" and I keep seing moss growing on concrete blocks (lime), concrete sidwalks (lime), my crushed dolomite rock (lime) covered driveway, and other, similar, places. So why is that if moss favors acid soil?

o

I say this because I just read it on a fact sheet on "moss in lawns" we send out from the county extension office (I am a volunteer). And from my own experience, I have moss that grows in full sun in my so called "lawn". The soil there as been tested and is acid. I don't have the figure handy but lime has been recommended to grow grass.

I do believe the fact sheet did say that increasing the ph will not get rid of the moss. As we can see, moss seems to grow everywhere. But is makes sense to me that having the ph at the correct level for the desireable plant(s) will help squeeze out moss.

So getting a soil test is always a great way to begin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here