Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Producing Rhizobacteria

Posted by bobvisaa 10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 0:01

Does anyone know a good source of information on how to produce Rhizobacteria?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Producing Rhizobacteria

I have been told that they exist in areas where the plants that host them grow naturally. Like the Rhizos that attach to oak tree roots, are avalable in the woods near oak trees. That may not help your particular need, if not others will answer.

o

Rhizobacteria, generally Nitrogen fixing on legumes, can be present in good healthy soils, or you can purchase innoculants to coat the seeds. I have yet to find a good source of information on how to produce, or grow, those bacteria except to make the soil into a good healthy soil well endowed with organic matter.

o

Bob, if I knew more about your goals, I might be able to help direct you to some information.

Different forms of beneficial (essential) bacteria have been cultivated and available commercially for a very long time.

For the vast majority of us, fostering a healthy natural soil is the best way of encouaging a good population of beneficial bacteria species.

o

Something sort of neat, is that there are thought to be soil micro-organisms that can fix nitrogen, that do no rely on the well known, symbiotic legume relationship. Haven't looked into it further, as it was only a cursory read. M

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:17

From Steve Solomon.....

"Rhizobia are not capable of being active in compost piles, but another class of microbes is. Called azobacteria, these free-living soil dwellers also make nitrate nitrogen."

Lloyd

Here is a link that might be useful: Curing the Heap

o

Thank you so much for that link pt03. I read the entire article and bookmarked it. A lot of other very informative articles and books there. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here