Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moo_cow_gw

Earthgro Organic Humus And Manure Question

moo_cow
14 years ago

I have read the post here about it, but they don't answer my question.

When mixing it with some peat moss, I noticed these shiny particles on my hands that kind of looked liked vermiculite. I was wondering if that is what it is, or is it something else.

This is the only stuff I can use at the moment till I can make my own compost.

Comments (11)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

It's either vermiculite or sand. Sand is often used to increase the weight of a bag of stuff without improving the product.

• moo_cow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't be sand. The only way to get this stuff off my hands is by a water hose with a sprayer on the end of it.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Could be vermiculite, perlite, or some mica, a silicate, that I have seen in some of the commercial potting soils.

• gargwarb
    14 years ago

Sand is often used to increase the weight of a bag of stuff without improving the product.

Nobody intentionally increases the weight of their product. It's sold based on volume not weight. Increasing weight increases shipping costs and cuts into profit.

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

Nobody intentionally increases the weight of their product. It's sold based on volume not weight. Increasing weight increases shipping costs and cuts into profit.

Earthgro Organic Humus And Manure is sold by weight in 40 pound bags. I've asked the question about sand in products to industry spokespeople and other insiders. They say it is common to add sand (if sold by weight) and other fluffy fillers (like peat if sold by volume). Even grass seed is being "cut" with fillers. Next time you're in Wal-Mart, look at the grass seed that has the coating on it. In a 10-pound bag you sometimes get 5 pounds of seed.

I can't be sand. The only way to get this stuff off my hands is by a water hose with a sprayer on the end of it.

That is how I get sand off my hands. It does not wipe off or brush off. If you dip your hands into a sink of water, does the stuff fall off? If not then it might not be sand. How big are the sparkles? Are they itty bitty (sand) or are they the size of a pencil point or larger (something else)?

• moo_cow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It does not fall off. The particles are very tiny.

I did email scotts to ask them what it is.

This is what i'm going to grow my potatoes in and I was worried about it sticking to the potatoes and not being easy to get off.

One more thing.

I used two parts humus and manure to one part spangum peat moss.

Should I add 1 more part spangum peat moss to make it an even 2 parts, or is what I have fine.

• moo_cow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried wetting it and the water just sat on top and wouldn't go down. I added 3 more gallons of peat moss. Will spray more water on it later to see if it drains. If not I will add more peat moss.

• normagain2000_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Walmart is inundated with the stuff this yr and it's already discounted to $1 per bag. Looks like 50 cent by fall and I love those kind of buys but this stuff doesn't look very good. I think also that they have added sand or possibly vermiculite. Has anybody had good results?

The directions on the bag specifically state not to use more than 3 inches mixed with soil. I wouldn't mix it solely with peat.

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

Peat is hydrophobic, I think that's the word. Very hard to wet, and once wetted if allowed to fully dry will shed water. The only way to really get it wet is put it in a wheel barrel and fill w/ water, or just fill up the bag w/ water before dumping it out. Adding more peat will not help your current situation.

• jaymsalb
    9 years ago

I came across this old post, what puzzles me, is why did she not use a good potting soil for her garden.Thus she would not have the drainage problems...I always used a good potting soil for my veggie gardens with very little manure etc.. and NEVER had a problem...That's what potting soil is for to help drainage, and its not just for ornamental plant gardens....

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Potting soil is for pots, IMHO. Garden soil should be amended with compost. Although I know a lot of people use potting mix or commercial bagged 'garden soil' mixes which look a lot like potting mix. They're quite a bit more expensive than compost, even good compost.

I tested Earthgro a few years back but the data is probably meaningless since the product would be produced regionally by different producers and the contents may change by season even at the same producer.

I've seen plenty of sand and even silt and clay in bagged compost. And most of the ones in my area ARE sold by weight, so you're also paying for water. Some of the cheaper ones had less than 10% by weight organic matter, on a wet weight (as-received) basis. Once you take out the water, ash content and added soil filler, there ain't much left.