Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warming The Soil

Posted by rachel67 z5ME (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 3:04

With such a cold late spring, I thought I would attempt to warm my soil with clear plastic for the next 3-4 weeks. In the past I have tried growing peppers and tomatoes with black plastic but felt it became to hot underneath during the growing season (raised rows, no soaker hose underneath). I believe it affected their growth. Warming the soil and then removing the clear plastic will still provide a benefit when I plant them right? I realize the soil will cool off when I remove the plastic but it's still worth it, right? I'm not looking to plant them any earlier than I normally do, just get the soil nice and cozy so they take off fast. Thanks .. hope this questions makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warming The Soil

I believe it is true that black plastic or planting fabric becomes a problem later in the season unless there is irrigation under it.

I wouldn't buy plastic just for this purpose, especially since so much clear gets thrown away from job sites. I would buy the heavy-duty black planting fabric which can be re-used for many years.

o
RE: Warming The Soil

During the Master Gardener class we had a horticulturist in for the vegetable growing class who touted the benefits of plastic, black, clear, red, silver, for growing vegetables commercially. When asked if the plastic provided more benefit then organic matter he had no answer, but in my experience soils with adequate amounts of organic matter warm as fast as soils covered with plastic.
However, soil warming also depends on how much moisture is in that soil, and covering a too wet soil with plastic will simply trap that moisture which will slow soil warming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here