Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Acidic Potting Soil

Posted by brownthumb65 8B Tallahassee (naturalmeds37@hotmail.com) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 7:33

Good Morning,

I was wondering what I can use to make my potting soil more acidic? I am experimenting with Raspberries in pots and they seem to be growing nicely, but the older leaves are turning yellow all over. Veins and all. The new leaves are green.
The soil PH is approx 6.5-7.0
Thanks!

Halime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Acidic Potting Soil

If the problem was too high of a pH, you would see interveinal yellowing beginning with the youngest foliage first due to decreased availability of micronutrients.

Yellowing of older leaves could be a ton of different things like low nitrogen, over watering, under watering, root disease, etc.

o

There are potting soils for African Violets, Rhododendrons and Azaleas, Camelias, Orchids, and many other special needs plants. One of those will be fine for Raspberries and other plantws needed special soils. Just determine what the needs of your plant are and find one to match.

o

Peat moss is acidic. You could also add a little sulfur to the mix. No need to buy "special" mixes.

o

I agree with gargwarb about the most likely suspects. The potting soil you are using can contribute to watering issues, too.

o

I grow raspberries with a pH in the low 7s (in soil, not a pot). I, too, suspect the suspect is on gargwarb's list.

tj

o

Thanks for the tips. I think I might be over watering. I've got to get a handle on that. I do my best with sticking my finger in the soil the first few inches and if it feels dry then I water. Maybe the "way" I water is no good? I put them in shallow pots to catch the water flow from the bottom and then totally soak the plant for about 20 minutes then I lift them out to drain. They drain well, I also have screen to cover the drain holes so no soil runs out.
Halime

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here