Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass squares into the compost pile?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:16

We just dug up a small area of grass and I was about to put it in the compost pile and remembered that my grass has clover and violets, dandelions and probably a number of other weeds. I use a passive compost pile so it doesn't get hot. I also thought of turning it upside down in the pathways of my vegetable garden, but I don't want to take a chance something could live and creep into my beds.

But I have about a 3ft x 3ft pile of them and what would I do if I don't compost them? I just read the thread on Bermuda Grass in the Compost pile and while I understand that my grass is not going to be as bad as that, I thought I'd ask. The suggestion on that thread, was to pile it up on a solid surface in the sun for a couple of weeks to kill it and then use it in the pathways.

Any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass squares into the compost pile?

I tend to shake off all the soil I can and then spread grass out with roots exposed to light and wind, usually on the wire fencing that surrounds my compost pile. When the plants are nice and crispy, then I add them to the compost.

It is so moist here that I have found with the soil left clinging to the roots they start resprouting, even when left upside down on a hard surface. I guess you could leave it in a pile and then cover that with black plastic to keep it from getting remoistened or getting sun. It would be ugly for a bit, but you'd get some good composting going.

o

If you have a 3'x3' pile of them you could just leave them to decompose. Cover if you like.

Our pile of grass squares eventually became really nice soil.

o

Oh good, I'm glad I can eventually use them. Good ideas, thanks a lot! What's another ugly pile for awhile. [g]

o

The Nearings made most of their compost that way in Vermont. In Maine they used seaweed.

o

The mentors of Eliot Coleman, right? I've seen a couple of videos with Eliot and the Mrs Nearing in it, but it's been awhile since I read Eliot Coleman's books. I used to watch the program Gardening Naturally with Eliot and his wife, but that hasn't been on in a long time. Thanks for that info.

o

Yes, and the mentors of many others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here