Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picassolisa

Sort of Finished Compost Soggy on the Bottom

picassolisa
10 years ago

I started composting last fall by just making a pile in my yard of alternating layers of grass and fallen leaves and smallish twigs. After not really paying much attention to it for a month or two, I really got going and converted an old black plastic trash can (30 gal, I think) and moved everything into that. I drilled holes all over the bottom and sides, and the top is one of those flip top spinny lids, so it gets some rain, but not too much. I add our kitchen scraps once or twice a week, but I throw them all in the food processor first. I also add dry leaves and other yard stuff whenever I add scraps. The problem I'm having, even though I turn at least once or twice a week, is that the bottom 8 inches or so isn't draining well. everything above that is fine and is getting crumbly and humus-y looking. The bottom 8 inches is mucky. I've made a rock bed for it to sit on, thinking that it might drain better that way, but no luck.

Here's my question (after all that): I have some 1/2" hardware cloth lying around. should I just empty the bin and lop off the bottom and replace with the hardware cloth instead?

Also, we're tilling the veggie garden for planting this weekend, should I till in whatever finished compost I have, or mix it into the holes when we plant the seedlings?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any and all feedback.

Comments (5)