Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acidifying Soil Organically

Posted by maupin z6 So. IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 11:52

Sulfur didn't do the trick. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acidifying Soil Organically

You added sulfur and it didn't work? Seriously? How long did you wait before testing?

o

It all depends on how acidic you are going for? We have very alkaline soil here and alkaline water too - its limestone heaven! ;) I use mounds of shredded oak leaf mold and pine straw & leaf based compost annually (and I mean BIG mounds) to keep my soil ph in the neutral zone +/- a few tenths.

But if you want really acidic soil then sulfur or iron/ammonium sulfate - given plenty of time to work - is still the best bet as far as I know. Your local county extension office should be able to provide you with info on what works best in your area.

o

One thing to note about using sulfur to acidify the soil is that it doesn't work as well if it is spread on the surface ass if it is buried. When it is spread on the surface, some of the sulfur is lost to the atmosphere instead of being converted to sulfurous acid (or is it sulfuric acid?).

It takes a lot to make much of a difference, and I think it can take a month or more to start showing effects.

If you're trying to get alkaline soil closer to neutral, I think digdirt's idea is a good one. If you're trying to make the soil acidic for something like blueberries, the only things I know that may help are sulfur and peat moss.

o

When I planted my blueberries 7 years ago the soil was clay and acidic. Compost amendments have improved the soil to the detriment of the acidity.

o

We're thinking of starting a blueberry patch. What are the pros and cons of using sulfur vs. peat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here