Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

Costco Composter

blueiris24
16 years ago

Has anyone seen the composter Costco has in its stores right now? Does anyone use this type of composter? I have one Smith and Hawken composter which is fine but I really need two in order to make it work correctly, and the price of the $40 Costco one really beats the pricetag of $150 at S & H. And no, we don't get a rebate or anything like that in our area for composters.

Comments (8)

• mamimo
    16 years ago

Did we see the same one? The one at my costco has doors at the bottom for scooping stuff out. I thought about getting it, but thought that turning the pile and harvesting would be a pain. I like the biostack that I have right now, it's easy to turn and harvest.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I don't have the exact kind they have in Costco, but having those doors at the bottom makes it easy to turn and to harves finished compost. To turn, take a few shovelsful from the bottom and put them on top. If it doesn't settle on its own, take a bulb auger to the top every once in a while.

The one I have has straight sides (I think the one at Costco has sides that angle outward). I would think the slanting sides Costco's composter has would help ensure the compost would fall as the bottom is cleared out.

• nnsgarden
    16 years ago

I just bought one of these at Costco a few months ago.

*Easy to pull stuff out of the bottom with those covers that can be removed

*Has vents for air circulation

*Stuff falls down easily as you clear out the bottom.

*Cheap

Dislikes:
    *When you press the button to flip open the lid, there are plastic "strings" that connect the base and lid to keep the lid from totally flying off backward. These "strings" often turn on their side and pop out of the lid. They are easy enough to put back into place, but it does get slightly annoying to have one pop out of place nearly every time I open the thing.

*As the bin gets full, it's harder to turn being that it is so deep and also angeled wider at the bottom. I find standing on a ladder or step stool to get up above it helps me get more leverage to turn without all the work.

*The sides lock into place kind of like puzzle pieces. When I was out turning it last time, I had one side come "unlocked" and it is nearly impossible to lock back together again when the bin has stuff in it. As such, you need to go easy on it when turning. Too vigorous and the thing starts coming apart.

Bottom line: If you're like me and not a "hardcore" composter, but just need something that looks half way decent and will give you enough compost to use in a few garden beds, then it's a good buy. It would also be great for someone who doesn't turn their piles often and has the patience to let it compost at it's own pace. However, if you turn your piles a lot or are looking to get masses of compost or don't want to put up with a few minor inconveniences, then I'd definitely spring for something higher in quality. I'm quite satisfied with mine, but I can see myself wanting something better in the future as I learn more about compost and start getting into more.

• eldemila
    16 years ago

Does anyone know the Costco item number, or have a link to view the composter? I tried by word and nothing comes up on their website.

Thanks!

• donn_
    16 years ago

It's called Super Composter (115 gallon). I don't know the item number, but you can't miss it. It looks like this in it's box:

{{gwi:286351}}

I've had one a little over a year now, and it works fine. The raccoons tore the lid off mine early on, and I had to fashion a metal strap to secure it, but apart from that, it's a bargain for the price.

I turn mine by scooping stuff out of the bottom front door, and dumping it back in the top. Mine sits in full sun, and right next to my compost tea barrel, so I give it a drink of tea occasionally, and it makes very nice compost, pretty quickly..AS LONG AS YOU TURN IT REGULARLY AND WATCH YOUR MATERIAL MIX! I use it strictly for kitchen and veggie garden waste. I add a layer of sawdust for every layer of greens, and it gets all our coffee grounds.

• andy9999
    16 years ago

I did see it today at Costco it is not as sturdy as I first thought but for the money not bad.
    The sides are not as strong and nnsgarden observations are right on spot-"gentle not a hardcore" composting for this baby

• bob64
    16 years ago

I have one but I am using it only for weeds that have gone to seed and similar items that I can't leave on the soil or in real compost. The stuff in this bin breaks down slow but I don't think I ever filled it all the way up. It works well for what I do with it.

• iris_9
    16 years ago

I bought two of the Costco composters last year because they were pretty inexpensive. (I gave one to my son.) His is still intact because he is a "casual" composter, just occasionally throwing something in and rarely turning it. For my purposes, it is too flimsy because I do a lot of turning. I have the "pyramid" composter from Gardeners Supply and after 5 years and lots of use, its still intact. However, the "pallet" bins that my husband made for me work best of all.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022