Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mendozer

Pre-compost?

mendozer
9 years ago

I have a two barrel system for composting plus a worm bin. But with all the yardwork I'm doing, I'm running out of space to put things. I don't pay for yard service, but can I store my green and brown in the big 90 gallon yard waste bin while I free up space in the barrels? I could drill holes in it so things don't become anaerobic, but then I have to worry about the ratio of everything yes?

Comments (7)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you have materials to hand I'd just start a compost heap straight away. Ratios are fine for the precise composter but are not essential. I cold compost and just build it as I get materials. When my pallet bin is full I turn it into the next bin and start another. You can make composting as complicated or as simple as you like.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I am forced to let things go. When they won't fit in small compost spaces, off they go in the yard waste bin. One positive way to think about that is that somebody is composting it, and it probably comes around again, in municipal planting, or even a garden center bag.

But sure, you can hold them, and try to ventilate. Another way, without cutting the bin, would be to put a "chimney" down, either a big drilled plastic pipe or a hardware cloth tube.

If you have some place that can benefit from a direct mulch of the fresh stuff that would be easier, as would a plain old pile, if you have room for that.

Good luck!

• klem1
    9 years ago

I have an out of the way area inclosed with 1"chicken wire where I toss surplus yard clippings, trimmings,chipped limbs and leaves(mostly leaves in fall and mostly grass clippings in spring). I only turn the material if I remove some for use in hot compost bins. I have been pleased with the extent material composts sitting there out of sight,out of mind and best of all,off the list of daily to dos.
    What floral said pretty much says it all.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Ditto. When you get rid of "soon" from the process, everything eventually works out. people who compost long term don't have problems. They DO have to have room, however.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The balance of ingredients is important only if you are trying to break speed records getting from input to finished output. Or if you are trying to keep it from going stinky ... which is not a problem with most yard waste. With the exception of grass clippings, it's on the low-nitrogen slow to compost end of the spectrum.

If all you do is pile yard waste up and keep it reasonably damp, it WILL turn into compost eventually.

My wire bin system is low-temperature, slow composting with no-turn bins. When I'm doing a lot of yard work, as has been happening recently, I fill a lot of bins. When I need compost, I break down the oldest bin or two or three.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap wire compost bin.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Some people do have separate bins to "stockpile" materials until they have the right amount or right ratio and often find those materials will start to compost while in that stockpile. I tried that and found that the stockpiling was more work then just starting a new pile with whatever I had.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

For various reasons, I've given up compost piles, but don't let any OM leave the property. Anything 'mulchy looking' can be put directly on beds. Anything icky, smelly, too green, can be buried. Just don't put a whole heap of anything in any 1 place & it's all good.