Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?

Posted by greengardener07 6b/7 - SE PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 13:21

Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread through out the bin and make the whole pile useless?

I have one of those Earth Machines (looks like a little Darth Vader head).

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?

It will be fine. Your compost pile has mold in it already and it all breaks down into a happy medium.

o

Mold is part of the decomposition process, so adding something moldy doesn't hurt a bit.

If you decide to add bread, don't tell annpat. She doesn't like anything that gets soggy. If she asks if you added any bread, deny it vehemently.

o

Thanks for both of your quick responses!

I usually leave the bread for the birds once it gets stale, but I don't want to give them moldy bread. Good to know that you can add it to the pile.

Good point about the compost pile and the mold helping it breakdown. I did not think of that.

Ahhhh, the circle of life is a wonderful thing!

o

Mold in the compost pile is fine.
Bread? No.
There are certain standards that every composter should adhere to, imho, one of them being: Do Not Make Me Ill.

greengardener, say I was looking in here one day and you posted something about the huge hunk of white sog that was sitting on top of your compost pile and it made me sick? How would that make you feel? Really bad, I bet. And I bet if you think about it, you'd feel ill, too. You know those people who eat 78 hot dogs in under a minute? Have you seen them dunk the whole darn hotdog in a glass of water---bun! and all??? No, of course you haven't seen that. You turned away, like anyone would. But you can imagine it, right? The thick paste that was bun, now sog, dripping off the contestants' chins? If I weren't trying to spare you repeating the experience, I wouldn't put myself through this right now. Anyway, I think I've made my point, and I hope I haven't disgusted people imagining the pile that others might have you construct.

And bpgreen, I can feel the kinship; I know you're no donut dunker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Planarian---

o

I could throw up when my Mother (83 y/o) dunks toast or donuts in her coffee. Eeeeeeewwwww! But then, I think it's pretty disgusting when she puts milk in that coffee, too. What a way to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee.

Sorry, I'm kind of off topic here.

Karen

o

Go ahead and put these materials into the compost! What *else* would you (I) do with moldy fruits, veg's, bread? I've been doing it for years and always consider it a "snack" for whatever microbes/critters are in the compost bin.

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA

o

Oh no, you're not, Karen.
Precisely!
See, gg07? There are people who will want to "throw up" when they see your pile with the swollen, sodden, toast on top.

o

annpat - Usually I totally enjoy reading your posts, but when you discribe the eating of the hotdog buns dipped in water...I think it was water for I could only skim your post because of the heebie jeebies that began in my spine. Detailed reading would have sent my gag reflex into over drive.

Although, I do still compost bread.

Anita

o

What, no bird lovers to tell greengardener not to feed the bread to the birds?

Off topic, I know, but in a nutshell (no pun intended) bread has very low and imbalanced nutritional value and too much salt for birds.

With that said, I compost bread too...and dip toast into my tea.

Hope I haven't made any enemies.

o

I like to put lots of crackers in my chili. ;-)

(I stopped feeding bread to the birds because I have a raccoon problem and they were getting it more than birds. But I too had read about the bread not being good for the birds. So it was a good thing I had a coon problem, because it saved a few birds! I believe I am turning into one those annoying people who find the bright side of everything.)

o

Way off topic, the only coon problems I've ever had were when camping.
One time, with two other couples, the coons were all over us at night, even chewing their way into a tent.
But on the bright side, Joepye, I got to see my first experience of coon rage when I witnessed my buddy running around naked in the moonlight chasing coons with an axe.
Needless to say he didn't get any that night ;)

o

I've experienced camp ground coons too. The crafty devils can open a cooler and those snap top rubbermaid containers.

At my house, I like to keep a water dish outside for hte dogs,but the racoons like to use it to wash their food in... which is mainly stuff they have taken out the fridge on my back porch.

o

Sounds like some people have something against wet bread in general.

The bread (multiple pieces) has been added to the compost bin. And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up! ;-D

o

Moldy fruit and bread is fine to add to your compost. The mold is there because that material is starting to be digested, which is what is going to take place in your compost pile.

o

I used to put saltines in my chicken soup as a kid. They would get real good and gushy; all sorts of sogginess there.

And I do put bread in my compost without any issues.

o

I just remembered I used to dip buttered toast (cut on an angle) in my coffee as a kid. yes, I drank coffee as a kid, I asked for it and my grandmother would give it to me. I guess that is why I am a coffee-holic.

o

gg07 - I used to do the same with toast, but into hot chocolate. And I remember putting saltines into the hot chocolate as well. I must have had a thing for soggy saltines!

o

Oh dear lord. How did this turn into a grossoutfest! I blame greengardener.

o

And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up!

That was just plain mean.

o

And we are entertaining ourselves with this stuff. What kind of pathetic group of losers are we?

Oh yeah, the kind who compost and use bread to grow mold.

Annapat, let me guess. You don't eat blue cheese do you? It's my favorite!

Karen

o

no,no, Karen, you misunderstand; mold is fine. It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

o

It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

Everyone?

Speak for yourself! I dont mind soggy bread in my compost heap one bit. It falls apart sooner and disappears within a turn of the pile.

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 08 at 10:09

My wife says anybody who cooks oatmeal then leaves the pot in the sink to soak should come back in his or her next life as a housefly. On the other hand she can gut a 10 lb codfish with her bare hands.

Btw, watch out - whenever there's a thread about putting bread on the pile some poor sucker always ends up sending annp a bucket of their best compost. She orchestrates it all, I don't know how.

o

Some of the best foods are eaten soggy!

Personally, I enjoy dipping pretzel rods in a glass of cold soda or milk and letting is "sog up" and then eat it that way. Or chocolate chip cookies into ice cold milk.

And when you eat a really good cheeseburger just off the grill, or a nice greasy cheese steak, the bun gets that greasy softness to it. DELICIOUS!

And even if you do not enjoy the soggy food and try to avoid it, it does become soggy once you ingest it as it aborbs as the stomach acids so it can breakdown. So it is soggy, in your stomach.

Mmmmm.....

Bon Apetit'!

o

One of my favorite snacks is dipping graham crackers in milk then stuffing it into my mouth before the soggy part falls off onto the table (or my shirt). And I grew up with people who sopped up excess gravy with bread. Lots of sog there.

I also toss moldy fruit and bread into the compost pile, but I think often the squirrels get it before it turns into anything not referred to in polite society.

o

mmmm i love the graham crackers things!!! and when i'm sick its crackers and tomato soup or if the bread wasn't so soggy i'd LOVE bread and butter and tomato soup!! but when i get to make my tumbler i'm going to also toss my moldy bread!! then i will be so happy no more food in the trash!! WOO HOO!!! LOL
on the other hand sog grosses me out!! totally, i won't tell ya how many yucks!!! :'((

o

My Mom made milk soup when we were kids. Hot milk over buttered stale bread. Yum!!

o

Bread - when mixed proportionally with plenty of greens and browns - mixes up nicely. My compost pile isn't in a beauty contest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danielsland

o

To AnnPat:

I observe that you receive a lot of teasing from other members. Sorry about that. -- BUT You do seem to have a pronounced phobia about goo and sog. Perhaps composting just isn't your cup of tea (no pun intended). Composters are already full of gooey soggy stuff (hence one critical role for "brown" contents). Planaria? Really? Planaria are microscopic organisms which live all over the place (particularly mud puddles), and probably already infest your composter -- IF there's any moisture at all in it (and if not, you're wasting your time). Planaria are amusing to look at under a microscope (they appear "cross-eyed," and somewhat phallic), and, as far as I know, are relatively harmless. Certainly no more harmful than other critters that populate a healthy composter. (I learned this in the 3rd grade. Sorry you missed it.) The only REAL risk with adding bread to a composter is attracting pests. So, if you don't use a tumbler, just cover bread & cake (...yes, cake) with a shovel or trowel. The composter will not explode, and you will not be murdered in your sleep by rampant planaria. Commercial composters (like Capital Composting [capitalcomposting.com]) include various baked goods, and even candy, on their lists of accepted compost materials.

o

The above post appears to be spam. On the day the writer signs up a link to a commercial outfit is included, spam.

o

A rather elaborate long post for spam, but it's certainly suspicious. :-]

o

WorldViewer, we don't have planaria in Maine. Mainers are fastidious in all ways---right down to how we manage our compost piles. We're a civilized people who try not to offend the sensibilities of visitors to our yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: You'll never see this in a pile in Maine

o

Or this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Never in Maine

o

The horror.

o

Are there planaria beauty contests ?

Anywhere?

o

I don't know but we have a rare cave planaria in these parts. At one point they were talking about locating a minor league baseball team here and it was suggested they be called the Pink Planarians. Didn't work out. Probably best, imagine the slimy trails on the bases.

o

Oh! Oh! I can't! I can't! I can't think about the slimy trails! See? See why Mainers don't compost bread?!!

o

It would take a while to steal second.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here