Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?

greengardener07
15 years ago

Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread through out the bin and make the whole pile useless?

I have one of those Earth Machines (looks like a little Darth Vader head).

Thanks.

Comments (58)

• nohandle
    15 years ago

What, no bird lovers to tell greengardener not to feed the bread to the birds?

Off topic, I know, but in a nutshell (no pun intended) bread has very low and imbalanced nutritional value and too much salt for birds.

With that said, I compost bread too...and dip toast into my tea.

Hope I haven't made any enemies.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I like to put lots of crackers in my chili. ;-)

(I stopped feeding bread to the birds because I have a raccoon problem and they were getting it more than birds. But I too had read about the bread not being good for the birds. So it was a good thing I had a coon problem, because it saved a few birds! I believe I am turning into one those annoying people who find the bright side of everything.)

• nohandle
    15 years ago

Way off topic, the only coon problems I've ever had were when camping.
    One time, with two other couples, the coons were all over us at night, even chewing their way into a tent.
    But on the bright side, Joepye, I got to see my first experience of coon rage when I witnessed my buddy running around naked in the moonlight chasing coons with an axe.
    Needless to say he didn't get any that night ;)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I've experienced camp ground coons too. The crafty devils can open a cooler and those snap top rubbermaid containers.

At my house, I like to keep a water dish outside for hte dogs,but the racoons like to use it to wash their food in... which is mainly stuff they have taken out the fridge on my back porch.

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like some people have something against wet bread in general.

The bread (multiple pieces) has been added to the compost bin. And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up! ;-D

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Moldy fruit and bread is fine to add to your compost. The mold is there because that material is starting to be digested, which is what is going to take place in your compost pile.

• grassman84
    15 years ago

I used to put saltines in my chicken soup as a kid. They would get real good and gushy; all sorts of sogginess there.

And I do put bread in my compost without any issues.

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just remembered I used to dip buttered toast (cut on an angle) in my coffee as a kid. yes, I drank coffee as a kid, I asked for it and my grandmother would give it to me. I guess that is why I am a coffee-holic.

• grassman84
    15 years ago

gg07 - I used to do the same with toast, but into hot chocolate. And I remember putting saltines into the hot chocolate as well. I must have had a thing for soggy saltines!

• annpat
    15 years ago

Oh dear lord. How did this turn into a grossoutfest! I blame greengardener.

• leslies
    15 years ago

And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up!

That was just plain mean.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

And we are entertaining ourselves with this stuff. What kind of pathetic group of losers are we?

Oh yeah, the kind who compost and use bread to grow mold.

Annapat, let me guess. You don't eat blue cheese do you? It's my favorite!

Karen

• annpat
    15 years ago

no,no, Karen, you misunderstand; mold is fine. It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

• jmsimpson9
    15 years ago

It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

Everyone?

Speak for yourself! I dont mind soggy bread in my compost heap one bit. It falls apart sooner and disappears within a turn of the pile.

• paulns
    15 years ago

My wife says anybody who cooks oatmeal then leaves the pot in the sink to soak should come back in his or her next life as a housefly. On the other hand she can gut a 10 lb codfish with her bare hands.

Btw, watch out - whenever there's a thread about putting bread on the pile some poor sucker always ends up sending annp a bucket of their best compost. She orchestrates it all, I don't know how.

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some of the best foods are eaten soggy!

Personally, I enjoy dipping pretzel rods in a glass of cold soda or milk and letting is "sog up" and then eat it that way. Or chocolate chip cookies into ice cold milk.

And when you eat a really good cheeseburger just off the grill, or a nice greasy cheese steak, the bun gets that greasy softness to it. DELICIOUS!

And even if you do not enjoy the soggy food and try to avoid it, it does become soggy once you ingest it as it aborbs as the stomach acids so it can breakdown. So it is soggy, in your stomach.

Mmmmm.....

Bon Apetit'!

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

One of my favorite snacks is dipping graham crackers in milk then stuffing it into my mouth before the soggy part falls off onto the table (or my shirt). And I grew up with people who sopped up excess gravy with bread. Lots of sog there.

I also toss moldy fruit and bread into the compost pile, but I think often the squirrels get it before it turns into anything not referred to in polite society.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

mmmm i love the graham crackers things!!! and when i'm sick its crackers and tomato soup or if the bread wasn't so soggy i'd LOVE bread and butter and tomato soup!! but when i get to make my tumbler i'm going to also toss my moldy bread!! then i will be so happy no more food in the trash!! WOO HOO!!! LOL
    on the other hand sog grosses me out!! totally, i won't tell ya how many yucks!!! :'((

• rosebud0416_charter_net
    12 years ago

My Mom made milk soup when we were kids. Hot milk over buttered stale bread. Yum!!

• steve_danielsland_com
    12 years ago

Bread - when mixed proportionally with plenty of greens and browns - mixes up nicely. My compost pile isn't in a beauty contest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danielsland

• annpat
    9 years ago

WorldViewer, we don't have planaria in Maine. Mainers are fastidious in all ways---right down to how we manage our compost piles. We're a civilized people who try not to offend the sensibilities of visitors to our yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:286700}}

• annpat
    9 years ago

Or this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Never in Maine

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

The horror.

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Are there planaria beauty contests ?

Anywhere?

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

I don't know but we have a rare cave planaria in these parts. At one point they were talking about locating a minor league baseball team here and it was suggested they be called the Pink Planarians. Didn't work out. Probably best, imagine the slimy trails on the bases.

• annpat
    9 years ago

Oh! Oh! I can't! I can't! I can't think about the slimy trails! See? See why Mainers don't compost bread?!!

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

It would take a while to steal second.

• sroemer1
    9 years ago

bread has eggs and milk in it right? so I wouldn't put it in my compost.

• kimmq
    9 years ago

Most edible material is compostable, even if it has eggs and milk in the original mixture. Yes, milk and eggs do have fats, as does meat, but not enough to make problems for the bacteria that will be digesting that material.

kimmq is kimmsr

• drmbear
    9 years ago

Heck yeah I'd dump things with eggs and milk in it to my compost pile - I actually put all my egg shells in there. Considering calcium is a necessary part of reducing the possibility of blossom end rot for the tomatoes and peppers I grow, I particularly like adding egg shells! Even meats CAN be composted, but we tend not to like doing that because of its tendency to draw animals we'd rather not have in the pile, as well as smells we'd rather not deal with. Think about it - everything you eat is broken down to gather useful nutrients and fuel. Composting is just another way to gather and use useful nutrients and fuel to improve and ammend the soil.

• annpat
    9 years ago

"It would take a while to steal second!"

Oh! snort!

Am I the only person who can't find Garden Web?

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Err, you just posted to it. It's possible you don't know where you are though. Can you see any street signs from where you are? LOL

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

'bread has eggs and milk in it right' Not here it doesn't. That'd be cake. Whatever, I'd chuck it all in the heap.

• annpat
    9 years ago

Oh! Snort! Flora would just chuck the bread or cake in her heap!! I am doubled over. Those Brits! They're so funny!!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It's less fattening than eating it. Plus I'm plotting an obesity epidemic amongst the Planaria. They'll get so enormous they'll be unable to move from Maine to the UK.

• annpat
    9 years ago

We, here in the state of Maine, have no experience with planaria, Flora. We're a thoughtful, clean, people, every one of us cognizant of the refined sensibilities of visitors to our yard. Most of us here use, to avoid the current outbreak occurring in slothful parts of the U.S., between 18"-24" of plastic wrap to wrap, and discard---and protect from moisture!---any leftover household wheat products, which, as another precaution, I, then, ironically, shove into a plastic bread 'sleeve' before putting the waste into my double-lined trash can.

Should any obese planarians arrive to your island, I would suspect some of the previous posters on this thread and not the fastidious composters from the State of Maine.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Does Maine have a hazardous waste collection system for bread?

• annpat
    9 years ago

No, no, of course not.

In much the same way that they accepted recycling, our responsible citizens quickly adapted to tightly wrapping wheat products in several layers of plastic before placing them in the trash. There was some backlash early on, but a light-hearted ad campaign, using the slogan: Keep it dry in triple ply, eventually converted people, and now I don't know anyone who would toss an unwrapped wheat product into the trash.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Bless you annpatt, the only GardenWebber from an entirely different, parallel universe. :-D

Whereabouts in Maine are you? I was thinking about visiting Maine if spring ever comes. I would promise not to bring bread from MO for your pile but I can't guarantee there will not be stale bread generated during the trip.

• annpat
    9 years ago

(You're not coming in Black Fly season, are you?)

If you came right now, you could shovel about three feet of snow off my roofs.

I am halfway between Bangor and Acadia, both about 45 minutes away. I imagine you're planning to see Acadia if you're coming to Maine for pleasure. My mother is home here with hospice, but you're welcome to stay here if you'd like. (My mother, btw, was the first woman from Maine to graduate from Stephens College in Columbus, MO. Her best friend from Maine was the second. My mother came first alphabetically.)

Visitors to our state are met at the border with this gentle reminder:

Bring it here in a plastic sleeve, and take it with you when you leave.

Help keep ME Planaria Free.

-The Maine Board of Decency and Tourism-

• Lisa_H OK
    9 years ago

I came over to the Soil forum to check and see how everything was bumping along over here. I saw this thread in the "stalker feed" (ha, that's what I call it in FB, not sure what we all it here :) ) and thought, hahaha, this thread will surely draw Ann to table. Sure enough, here she is! (long, long, long, long time soil forum reader!)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Wait a minute, wait a minute. I somehow recall Maine having planaria big enough to eat crappie. Is that a fuzzy memory or perhaps with ergot I forgot?
    My avatar shows a walleye saved from planaria (but not from the BBQ).

tj

• annpat
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No, no,no. We have only had one planarian visitor to the state ever. A hitchhiker on a biscuit with Chitlins, gravy and grits, whom we put on a southern bound bus immediately upon its arrival, fearing Maine's fastidiousness would prove its demise. We're cold, but not unkind.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

We have friends in Rumford (W of Bangor, N of Portland) with a standing offer to visit, and we might go up there in early May to see a concert in Brownfield, which is NW of Portland over toward White Mt. Natl Forest. So we'd be west of you but we haven't made any specific plans yet, and Acadia is certainly a place to see. Not having been there I would probably be fascinated with all of it. I require a lobstah, preferably on a beach, but with butter in any case. That is my only requirement.

I live in Columbia and am very familiar with Stephens. In fact they have a great equestrian program and some of that Stephens horse manure is in my garden as we speak.

• annpat
    9 years ago

My mother ended up there because of the equestrian program. Her best friend was a horsewoman who was too afraid to go to Missouri alone so her father convinced my grandfather that my mother should go to Stephens, too. She loved it.

If you head this way, let me know.

• annpat
    8 years ago

We have lost our Dave52.

• Lloyd
    8 years ago

I was smiling and feeling all warm/fuzzy right up to the last. So sad to hear.

• annpat
    8 years ago

I'm sorry, Lloyd! Truly sorry. For some reason, I overlooked that that would happen. I know there are people here who love him, and I wanted to hear the accolades. I didn't mean to shock.

• Lloyd
    8 years ago

I'm over at the froup now catching up. Shame on me for not stopping in more often. No excuses.

• petalique
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I compost lobster shells, mussel shells. I burn moldy bread for winter heat.

One day there was a slime amber alert here. Off in a waste area (loosely so), was this amorphous clump of whimsy slime. Photos were taken. Reports were filed with the local fungus bureau.

A few hours later the mystery was solved. Some genius had used some of that crystalline poly hoop di la stuff in a potted plant. When the plant died (or drowned?), the pot was emptied in the no man's land area. Rain brought the poly hoop di la to prime slime. Glad it wasn't in the compost.