Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No-till green manure?

Posted by simcan z6/Toronto (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 13:42

Hey, all...I wrote below about my established garden and clay soil. One thing that occurred to me is to grow a green manure in the beds this autumn amongst the plants, and then, in the late autumn/early winter, cover the whole thing up with a layer of compost and mulch (my plan regardless).

Note the part about it dying...any "annual" non-hardy (in Toronto) green manures someone can recommend? I don't want to turn it into the soil if I don't have to (believe me, this is not laziness, really (not that there is anything wrong with laziness) just that I do not want to going churning about until I get to know where everything is). I am thinking this would be a nice "add" to my reconsitution of the soil, and if it is dead and gone come spring, I would happily do it every fall.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No-till green manure?

Try a less hardy type of clover.

o

Buckwheat is a fast growing cover/green manure that will winterkill, and is cheap. Peas are another option, albeit an expensive one, and they leave the soil in a beautiful state. Stay away from any grass like rye, and although some vetches are not hardy in our zone 5, I wouldn't chance it.

My vote would be for buckwheat.

o

Annual Ryegrass should never be used for a green manure or cover crop, although some people seem to think it is the same thing as Wnter, Field, or Cereal Rye. Vetch, if allowed to set seed can be a bit invasive and is hardy, Buckwheat is easily killed by frost and could be a good addition although as proposed it would be a cover crop not a green manure since you would not till it in green. The Field, Winter, or Cereal Rye, a grain crop not a grass, could be seeded in and then covered when about 6 inches high with compost and mulch and that should effectively kill those plants.

o

Annual ryegrass is an excellent cover crop. I've used it, let it winter kill and plant right into the dead sod in spring. It produces lots of subsurface organic matter and does a good job of choking of weeds.

o

My reply disappeared.

Plant a fall pea crop. Eat. Cut stems and leave roots.

Dan

o

It's tough trying to get any decent growth in Ontario's autumn from a heat lover like buckwheat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here