Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
long island compost organic mulch

Posted by njitgrad NE NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 21, 13 at 14:02

I was just about to purchase mini bark nuggets today at the local garden center to top-dress my raised veggie beds when I came across a product I've never seen before.

It's made by Long Island Compost (link below) and it claims to be 100% organic shredded tree mulch for use in gardens. Its claim is that it enriches the soil.

The bags were heavier than normal mulch. I ended up pickup up eight bags so I can fill my 72 sq ft of beds as well as my assortment of GeoPots.

I haven't applied it yet and I'll wait until I get some feedback on this product. Does anyone use this product? It was price at $4.49 a bag which is not too bad at all.

I'll post pics later because I can't seem to find any even with Google Images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Compost

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: long island compost organic mulch

You may want to try posting this in one of the regional forums (NYMetro, NJ, or Northeast Coast).

o

Long Island Compost makes a lot of products. Which one did you get?
I'm from the Island and they are sold all over the place. I've never bought the stuff but friends who have tend to like it.

o

I have to say ditto to what Darth weeder says above, I live on Long Island, actually not too far from where all their products are made, yet I too have never tried any, because I make my own, :)

o

Their 3cu ft bags of "grower's mix" are great. It would probably resemble the 511 very closely with some additional pine fines . I use it in large containers right out of the bag with some fertilizer added. I also use it as an amendment in my raised beds when it's time to dump the containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here