Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My turkey compost smells gross (part 2)

Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:21

Post all new comments to this thread. No one will get any e-mails

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My turkey compost smells gross (part 2)

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 16:20

Bump so this doesn't stay on the top.

o

Since we've got a new venue, I'll just say I didn't think 'turkey compost' implied anything other than turkey poop. The question was a distraction anyway, since the original problem was the smell and what that meant. And the answer to *that* is universal, regardless of what kind of compost is stinking.

Funny story: I worked in a lab doing environmental fate studies on things like animal antibiotics. For one such study we had to spike the test compound onto turkey manure, incubate and determine how it decomposed. The client sent us a 5-gal bucket of turkey poop. It had to be dried for some reason prior to use (don't remember the details). So the lab techs took it to the OTHER building, up in the attic, and spread it out in pans to dry. Within an hour, it had fumigated the entire building with turkey poop stench and the phone was ringing! I coulda told em that...

o

I don't under why that woman was so hostile, clearly she doesn't understand how to make an email filter. For example she could make an filter that would filter out the word "turkey" or the word "compost" or the word "gross" from the subject line and sent it too the trash. I am guessing that she is not too bright.

o

Mon, May 7, 12 at 21:50

That is one of the funniest comments I've read....literally, I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

Lloyd

o

Lloyd; Tears in my eyes too! Bwaaaahaha.

Curt

o

it's a classic

o

Yeah, I have never seen people called @$$holes in a gardening forum, LOL.

If she 'moved on to a different forum' because of it, why were the email notifications still turned on anyway? I didn't even know we had those here and from the volume of threads I post useless junk in, my inbox would be overflowing. :-D

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 12:58

When one originates a thread, there is an option to receive emails when anyone replies to the thread.

I can't recall calling anyone such a name myself but I've certainly thought it. IMO she was justified, she was treated pretty lousy with little cause for such treatment.

My laughter was at the "not too bright" comment.

Lloyd

o

OK, I am coming in on the end of this thread, but I noticed something that was mis-read or mis-written.
Smelling fishy like a fish TANK. That isn't a fishy smell as you would think when you open a can of tuna. It's a musty, algae and fish poop smell. That makes sense. Fish Tank smell. Not fishy.
I first read the words turkey compost here. I had visions of composted turkeys. I didn't think of them as dead, though. My mind works differently from most, but I caught the fishy.

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 13:53

There was plenty of misunderstood stuff on that thread.

As to fish tank smell...I store rain water in a 1200 gallon tank and it certainly has lots of algae and scum in it. I use this water on the compost windrows as necessary so I can understand how that odor may be prevalent when the compost is not finished. Once the compost has cured for a year, that odor is no longer discernible.

Lloyd

o

The reason she did that if you curse on the garden web the comment won't post.

I am not the only one who was thinking composting turkeys. If someone is really hardcore, they want to compost everything possible. It's an obsession. Why waste all the turkey after thanksgiving? The bones are like bone meal and the fats add something, I don't know what, but I think composting your turkey is a great idea. If I did not have that pesky compost eating dog, I would do it. I did compost a chicken a couple of times. A turkey is bigger, so you would need a big hot pile or bin to handle that. Hot is the key thing here. In a cold pile it would sit there and collect flies.

o

Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:19

Given that the fourth post on the original thread explicitly stated it was turkey manure, no reasonably intelligent person should have been confused as to the content of the compost.

Lloyd

o

Lloyd, that is unless of course that person is "not too bright."

o

>>The reason she did that if you curse on the garden web the comment won't post.

I understand that, I was referring to the use of such harsh terms in the first place, not how it was spelled.

o

That not too bright remark was a joke based on what she said in her post. I did not think it was composted turkeys by the time I got to the end of the post, but I wondered why call it turkey compost but yet bat guano? When you buy chicken manure they never call it chicken compost.

o

Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:24

Why do we call a beef patty a hamburger?

Sometimes that's the way it is.

I didn't see the joke in the comment TT but I did laugh at all the grammatical errors. I thought the combination of the two was hilarious. Tell me you did that deliberately.

Lloyd

o

I do have a bag outside labeled poultry compost. Chicken or turkey? Anybody's guess.

One of the deficiencies in forums is many of us hang too tightly to our own assumptions and experiences. There is a wealth of knowledge but not every one is dealing with the same circumstances.

There is also a lesson in there about receiving e-mails. A lot of times threads that have been inactive for a while will become active again and when that happens, you will still get an e-mail even if you have moved on. It may behoove GW to turn off the automatic e-mails after 3-6 months.

o

beehooves? Can those be composted?

o

Blaze, if there is one thing I have learned on this forum if it was once alive, it can be composted. Good luck getting enough to achieve critical mass.

o

This is one of the more entertaining threads. Sometimes I come here and things are so dead and boring, I want to spice things up and make them interesting. Lively debate is good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here