Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanam_gw

Soil for nasturtiums

susanam
15 years ago

I got nasturtium seeds to plant in pots. The information on the seed packets states that the plants thrive in poor soil -- we happen to be blessed with very good soil in our garden. How do you make the soil poor?? Add sand? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• jean001
    15 years ago

Plant them but don't fertilize.

• girlndocs
    15 years ago

I've planted nasturtiums in poor soil and gotten runty, pathetic nasturtiums.

Nasturtiums planted in my good garden soil are lush and large, and bloom nicely.

Nasturtiums planted in extra super rich soil still bloom, but the leaf stems tend to be longer and the leaves themselves bigger so the flowers don't show up too well.

Kristin

• newskye
    15 years ago

I agree... poor soil has generally given me scrawny nasturtiums about 4 inches tall. At least use decent soil, no fertilizing of course. I tend to give them plenty of water in the beginning to get them going, and they do grow huge leaves (which I think is a lot of the charm of nasturtiums), then later on stop watering and totally neglect them and they flower away. If the leaves are really blocking the flowers I might pick off some of the bigger ones to get them out of the way.

I do love nasturtiums, but boy do they reseed.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I usually use a small amount of balanced fertilizer in the planting hole but no more for the season. I also find that they do need a drink of water in dry weather, and they do better in mostly sun with a little break of shade from afternoon sun.

I'm aware that conventional instructions say poor dry soil, no fert, in full sun. If I follow that they are small and scrawney and burn up in summer's heat, and produce few blossoms.

{{gwi:260823}}

Karen

• jbann23
    15 years ago

Nasturtiums around here seem to grow best in organically treated soils. No fertilization such as MG is necessary, just worm castings, compost, or composted manure will really make them take off. As newskye points out, you'll never have to buy seed again. They do attract black aphids but that's easily remedied with a little soapy water.

• girlndocs
    15 years ago

Ooooo, Karen, is that "Spitfire"?

Kristin

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

That nasturtium is "gleam trailing". Seeds were supposed to be mixed colors, but all were oragne.

Karen

• treeinnj
    15 years ago

Karen, that garden bed is beautiful! Is that now or last summer?
    All the Best, Tree

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Last summer. Now it's empty except for a few shrubs. It's much too early (cold) for that now. High was in the 50s today, I think. This spring has been cold and rainy.

Karen