Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for nasturtiums

Posted by susanam NY Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 14:32

I got nasturtium seeds to plant in pots. The information on the seed packets states that the plants thrive in poor soil -- we happen to be blessed with very good soil in our garden. How do you make the soil poor?? Add sand? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for nasturtiums

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 08 at 15:58

Plant them but don't fertilize.

o

I've planted nasturtiums in poor soil and gotten runty, pathetic nasturtiums.

Nasturtiums planted in my good garden soil are lush and large, and bloom nicely.

Nasturtiums planted in extra super rich soil still bloom, but the leaf stems tend to be longer and the leaves themselves bigger so the flowers don't show up too well.

Kristin

o

I agree... poor soil has generally given me scrawny nasturtiums about 4 inches tall. At least use decent soil, no fertilizing of course. I tend to give them plenty of water in the beginning to get them going, and they do grow huge leaves (which I think is a lot of the charm of nasturtiums), then later on stop watering and totally neglect them and they flower away. If the leaves are really blocking the flowers I might pick off some of the bigger ones to get them out of the way.

I do love nasturtiums, but boy do they reseed.

o

I usually use a small amount of balanced fertilizer in the planting hole but no more for the season. I also find that they do need a drink of water in dry weather, and they do better in mostly sun with a little break of shade from afternoon sun.

I'm aware that conventional instructions say poor dry soil, no fert, in full sun. If I follow that they are small and scrawney and burn up in summer's heat, and produce few blossoms.

Photobucket

Karen

o

Nasturtiums around here seem to grow best in organically treated soils. No fertilization such as MG is necessary, just worm castings, compost, or composted manure will really make them take off. As newskye points out, you'll never have to buy seed again. They do attract black aphids but that's easily remedied with a little soapy water.

o

Ooooo, Karen, is that "Spitfire"?

Kristin

o

That nasturtium is "gleam trailing". Seeds were supposed to be mixed colors, but all were oragne.

Karen

o

Karen, that garden bed is beautiful! Is that now or last summer?
All the Best, Tree

o

Last summer. Now it's empty except for a few shrubs. It's much too early (cold) for that now. High was in the 50s today, I think. This spring has been cold and rainy.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here