Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should rocks/pebbles be removed from garden soil?

Posted by ptwonline 5b (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 15:15

I've always wondered about this: since "soil" is compromised of various things (organic matter, minerals, etc), should rocks/pebbled be left in the soil so that they can continue to be eroded and add bits to the soil?

I realize the erosion process is so slow that it may not make much difference either way, but the thought came to mind after I removed lawn grass to make a garden bed, and found so many pebbles that had been thrust towards the surface of the soil. Thousands.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should rocks/pebbles be removed from garden soil?

I would leave them be unless you are creating a fine tilth for a seed bed.

o

Hi ptwonline,

I like rocks in my soil. They retain moisture. They probably help with soil compression.

for big rocks, I have other likes:

One year, I found a large boulder about six inches deep in my plot so I cleared the top, laid a tomato plant on it, and covered it up. The tomato plant did fine, the roots spread all over the top of the boulder.

When I plant sweet potatos I lay a ring of stones around the plant in a twenty four inch circle. The moisture under those stones attracts the potato roots and spreads out my sweet potatoes.

Good luck!

o

leave them unless they get in the way of tilling or digging holes.

You'll NEVER get rid of them all.

o

"You'll NEVER get rid of them all."

Ditto! I have been using the same garden spot for 30+ years.

I have removed the bigger rocks every year, you know the size, the ones that make my tiller lock up and bigger.

I am better at growing rocks than veggies!

I get more than a pickup truck load every year! I have a pile that is approximately 30'X30'X4' deep out on the "back 40"..

It would be bigger if I hadn't given them to people to haul away and use for their home projects! I also used them as a bed to make a 400' loop to extend my driveway.

o

wertach,

How do you use rocks for a driveway?

o

The same way that anyone would use gravel Slimy! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here