Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you add topsoil over gravel and pebbles ?

Posted by cybergg (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:20

Hello,

Previous owner of my house had a lot of pebbles in the backyard.
Now we are trying to convert that space into a vegetable garden. We tried tilling the soil but there still seems to be a quite a few pebbles and gravel. Wondering if its ok to add top soil over this surface ? I have attached a couple of pics.

Thanks,
Gg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you add topsoil over gravel and pebbles ?

Plants will not mind the rocks if you are able to work with them. There is a possibliity herbisides were used before and/or after the area was converted. Make certain there is no weed-block or plastic underneath.

o
RE: Can you add topsoil over gravel and pebbles ?

You could depending on what is underneath the gravel or pebbles. If there is any kind of weed barrier under them that will need to be removed.
Whether "topsoil" is really what you want will depend on what that "topsoil" is. The usual definition of "topsoil" is the top 4 to 6 inches of soil that usually contains some organic matter. The soil you want for any garden would be something with 92 to 95 percent mineral and 5 to 8 percent organic matter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here