Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medium for Square Foot Garden

Posted by ccy333 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 15:29

Hello. I am new to the forum and had a couple of questions I was needing some help with. I have a made a 5x4 square foot garden with 10" sides. I have located a nice place to put it. I will be removing the top layer of sod and loosening the soil a few inches before adding the composition for growing. I have read a few posts on Mels Mix and various alternatives but had a question or two.

My Question:
I do not have (easy) access to vermiculite, and do not have a compost pile (yet!). I do have a collection of various soil amendments that I was hoping someone could help me with on putting together a recipe.

I have: Manure, Peat Moss, Premium Topsoil, Cotton Burr Compost and a few various bags of potting soil/garden soil mix.

I am still trying to hunt down some vermiculite or even perlite, but not having a whole lot of luck. I am also starting a personal compost heap as well

Can I achieve favorable results with the mixtures that I have? Is organic compost necessary? Can I purchase it somewhere?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medium for Square Foot Garden

You might receive the most rapid responses from the Square Foot folks
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/sqfoot/

Here is a link that might be useful: Square Foot folks

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 5, 11 at 20:48

You are off to a good start.
About the vermiculite/perlite, use the web to search your county for store that sale them.
I found the biggest "Brown Turkey Fig tree" at the lowest price by checking the 3 closes counties to my house.
Their were 8 nurseries & some of them were listing in all three counties.
"various bags of" some of the bags at the big box store are Okay....maybe good, but you never know what you are getting & if it is composted. So stay with what works for you & start a grass clipping/ leaf compost pile as soon as you can. I am all for double dug beds or loosening the soil a few inches, before putting up walls to hold the compost mix.
Love to see photos.
Good Luck.

o

All compost is organic. Since compost is made of vegetative waste, maybe animal manures, and that is organic material that means the end result, compost, is organic.
Keep in mind that Bartholomew spent much time finding what worked best, although something similar to "Mels Mix" will work. Also be aware that the term "Topsoil" means nothing because "topsoil" is nothing more than the top 4 to 6 inches of soil. What you need to know is what is in the "Topsoil". Potting soil is nothing more than either peat moss or finely ground bark, there is, most often, no soil in potting soil.

o

Here's what I'd do:

Fill your bed with the cheaper stuff and save the "better" stuff for your root ball areas.

Also, a lot of the potting soils out there already contain perlite and vermiculite.

I've always subscribed to the saying that the best thing for good garden results was the gardener's shadow. In other words, Mel's mix isn't magic. Lots of folks have great results with their normal dirt, wheras lots of folks struggle to produce much of anything with Mel's mix (the growing medium is only part of the equation).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here