Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I doing it right?

Posted by greenthumbs69 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 16:35

This year i wanted to try and make my own compost. I think i have more than enough of the needed materials to do so. We have 4 horses in our barn and 37 chickens in our coop so manure isn't an issue i have a 15 foot high pile every 3 months! Most of the manure is a mixture of wood shavings, straw, and a little uneaten hay. About a week ago i took a couple wheel barrow loads of horse and chicken manure mix and layered it with pine needles and and chopped up corn stalks and some coffee grounds the wife had saved. I watered the pile and covered with a black tarp to see what would happen. Checked it today and it was steamy hot when i flipped the 4x4' pile.
My question for you soil experts is, Will this continue to compost well and how long should i let it sit before i turn it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I doing it right?

if you want the compost fast you flip it every four days until the pile is cool....when you flip put all the material on the outside of the pile in the middle. It should take about 18 days-1 month. Cover the pile with a tarp so that the rain does wash any nutrients away.

This post was edited by greenthumbzdude on Sat, May 3, 14 at 21:15

o

I was concerned about not having enough greens but apparently it must be doing good if it's cooking like it is.

o

Fresh manure is a green, and you have plenty of that!

o

This is where thinking in terms of "greens" and "browns" can get you onto a slippery slope since animal manures are a "green" (Nitrogen source) even thought they are brown in color. In a compost pile with a close C:N ratio (less then 30:1) the bacteria will get busy and digest what is there fairly quickly and generate lots of heat, but if the food source, Carbon, is not there they soon slow down and stop.
Although advocated by many covering an actively digesting compost pile with a tarpaulin is not a good idea since that can limit air exchange and could create anaerobic conditions. Covering as compost pile with a tarpaulin does nothing to create the conditions the bacteria need to digest that material.
This link may be of some help for those wishing to make compost very quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost in 14 days

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here