Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Composting with the neighborhood bear.....ideas?

Lcgrace Mahoney
15 years ago

We've had the cutest bear cub across our road at the neighbor's house. He's been napping in their tree and eating birdseed out of their feeder. We've been snapping pics and enjoying living in the country. We haven't seen mama yet but I'm told that she lives a few houses up.

We take care to keep our deck gate locked, the house locked, and the garbage closed in the garage. I hadn't given my compost bin a single thought until I went out to dump my scraps and he tipped it over. I guess he's tired of living on the birdseed!

My compost bin is the black garbage can style with a lid. It has plastic skrews that anchor it to the ground. Would a hand built wooden and wire fence type work better? I'm assuming that if I start a fresh lasagna bed and put the scraps directly on the ground, he'd have a full buffet. I have the room to do this but I'd rather enclose it instead of being all over.

I should tell you that we do live in the country....deer, turkeys and bear are common, although this is the 1st time that we've actually seen bear roaming outside.

any thoughts or ideas on how I can keep composting without making a mess? Thanks! LC Grace

Comments (6)

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

I've seen videos of tests of "bear proof" containers. The bears were tearing through just about everything that was tried, although some things took longer than others. These were containers made of heavy plastic, metal, etc.

If you're making compost that will attract the bears, a wooden and wire fence won't help.

• treeinnj
    15 years ago

Yes, I agree with bpgreen, however, here's my thoughts (I'm in NW NJ - probably just over the line from you):

- we had a big bear visit a few weeks back - only took the big birdfeeder, he ignored the compost bin (I have a similar 33 gal rubbermaid, but mine's blue :)

- also, I put lots of leaves on top of whatever's in the rubbermaid, to help w/aromas, (maybe coffee grounds would help too?) but I have no idea if that helps or not

- we have racoons, groundhogs & skunks in the area - the racoons have climbed - and actually partied! - on the deck (12-14' high) - but haven't gotten into the rubbermaid compost

- and, the wooden fence might not help in detracting the bears (our nearby pre-school built a fence around their garbage cans, but that didn't stop momma bear), However, it might keep it neater - i.e. all in one place rather than the garbage can getting dumped out.

All the Best, Tree

• Karchita
    15 years ago

I have some experience gardening around bears. I'd suggest not using kitchen scraps if you have bears coming around. You could still compost your yard waste, because I don't think the bears would be very interested in it. But don't put anything outdoors in your pile or lasagna bed or anywhere else that would be a treat.

A few comments on living around bears in general ...

Any cub is extremely dangerous because the mom is always nearby, and a lot closer than a few houses away, IME, more like within 20-30 feet. One place you do not want to be is in between a mom and her cubs.

Second, a bear that has learned to get food from humans quickly learns not to fear humans. They become problem bears and usually don't live long because they have to be destroyed. The biggest favor you could do for this cub and his mom is make sure they cannot find any food whatsoever anywhere in your neighborhood. If he becomes a pest, your state Wildlife agents will be called in to 'dispose' of the problem bear. For this reason, feeding bears, even negligently or accidentally, is illegal in Alaska and may be in your state, too. In Alaska, your neighbor whose bird seed the cub ate could be fined and you could be, too, because the bear ate your scraps. Whether or not that is the law in your state, anyone who lets a bear have food is contributing to the problem where bears always end up the losers.

I don't mean to lecture and I hope you will take my comments constructively. It's neat to see wildlife, but you do have to be cautious and responsible when you are lucky enough to live so close to them.

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

Bears are enormously strong. If they want to get into anything, they will.

About the only thing that will keep bears away is a good hotwire or electrified netting.

Karchita is dead right on everything. If they find food, they will keep coming back.

That cub is going to get shot. All a homeowner has to say is, "It was going after my kid/wife/dog/cat/chickens/horse, and the law will just shrug and the report will read, "Nuisance bear shot. No citation issued.".

Sue

• blutarski
    15 years ago

I have to agree...I don't think it's a good idea for a bear cub (soon to be an adult) thinking that your backyard is his buffet table.

You could probably call the appropriate state wildlife agency and they could probably help you with methods of discouraging them from coming around.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

We live on a large acreage in bear country and see at least one every year but have only twice in 12 years had them bother with the compost. I'm sure it's not a large enough snack for them compared with other food choices. We used to have our 4 pallet compost bin aways away from the house and the bear just flung them every which way and left a nice big footprint in the dark soil. The next time when DH had moved the compost inside our house yard fence the pallets were also flung several feet away altho I think he stayed on the outside of the house yard fence. These guys are strong! This year they slept in because of the cooler weather and we've not had a problem.

Please don't get to thinking that cub or any bear is very cute, we have fatalities here when humans surprise bears. The only way I like to see them is thru the windows when I am in my car or house.

We often bury our compost right in the garden and it's never been bothered. I think with a few inches of dirt over it the smell is minimal even to a bear. We've never had them eat the sunflower seeds from the birdfeeder maybe cuz it's on top of a six foot post. Your neighbor could hang the birdfeeders so the bears can't get the seed.

It sounds as if you are living in a higher human density location so it would be a good idea to have those bears relocated to a more rural area. They will likely continue to present problems as they are finding more food from humans so aren't as dependent on food they have to hunt or gather.