Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding soil to beds with tree mulch

Posted by SNugent Toronto (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 17:29

Hi: I have flower beds that likely have very old soil in them. I want to mix in new triple mix but there is tree mulch on the beds. Can I mix the mulch in with the new soil? Or do I have to remove the mulch (tricky, I suspect) and then add soil and then put mulch back? Is it bad to mix them together and then add a fresh layer of mulch when beds are topped up? Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding soil to beds with tree mulch

What is the mulch? I can see all sorts of things that could be called tree mulch.

o
RE: adding soil to beds with tree mulch

As a general rule of thumb it is not a good idea to put any soil over any mulch.
All soil, no matter where you are, is old, even that "triple mix" is old soil even though it may have been mixed recently. Generally "triple mix" is 1 part soil, 1 part peat moss, and 1 part compost that people add to the soil they already have. What any soil needs is compost, or any other vegetative waste. No soil needs any more of the mineral component of any soil mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here