Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for tomatoes

Posted by Sadler19 zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 18:16

I am currently growing tomatoes in 5-gallon buckets and in a raised bed. They are doing very well. I am thinking ahead. What do I do with the soil in the buckets? Can I reuse it for other veggies, throw it away, amend it, or what? What about the soil in the raised bed? What can I do to it to make it usable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for tomatoes

I reuse all of my soil. You can mix it with fresh soil.

o

Thanks for the reply, Zackey. No worries about tomato diseases?

o

Thanks for the reply, Zackey. No worries about tomato diseases?

o

I NEVER throw soil away. If there was a disease in the pot or raised bed,I make certain the soil gos into a special compost bin that will not be used for 2 or more years. In the ground,I rotate crops. My thinking is that most disease can only survive in host plant material. The extra time in a bin assures total composting. I don't hold hard and fast to rotation but try to as best I can. That is to say I don't plant the same thing in a spot,be it pot,raised bed or in the ground. Not only does that help with disease prevention,nutrients are alowed to stabilize as well.

o

Is that actually soil or is it a soilless potting mix?
If actually garden soil you can simply put it back where it came from. If it is a soilless potting mix you could out it into the garden as a soil amendment or mulch or you could compost it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here