Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeding under burlap cover

Posted by Sparky1961 TN ?zone Jonesboroug (My Page) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 18:29

Hi all! I used to be in these forums years ago (i cannot even recall my user name) but am returning! I am glad to be back. I have not had the chance to garden for awhile.

I am attempting Interbay Mulch in raised beds (4 x 4 beds) using 2 used coffee bags for cover (some overlap a little more than that. I got started in Feb (out of my control, I moved) with a lot of chopped leaves and sttray greens and added some but not enough greens (like coffee grounds and chopped scraps). I am correcting that as best I can with composted cow manure and organic nitrogen sources.it is doing ok and I think it will be ok to plant in for seedlings and will use organic seed starter in litttle areas (poke my finger in and fill with seed starter mix ) where i plant seeds to give them a wasy to grow in ligher but good stuff. i feel ok that its broken down enough to suppoort veggies if I keep an eye on nutrition with fish/seaweed emulsion and such--at least at first. Even tho I started late.

For transplants I'm going to cut through the burlap and plant. (i also plan to have a gride made out old plastic venetian blind slats---i think over the burlap and nailed to the sides of the bed) to help with the square foot gardening thing---

HERE IS MY QUESTION tho. I'd like to keep the burlap on all season to serve as weed barrier/mulch. I am concerned about the best way to genrminate my seeds given I do not want to remove or pull aside the burlap--- should I cut a round hole in the burlap or maybe a cross where I plant a seed? Or should I keep burlap over the seed--- then cut a hole around seedlings under the burlap after the sprout?

THANKS! I'm focused on the seedlings but other suggestions for hastening breakdown of this bed are welcome. In this area I'm planting alot over the next week when the rain lets up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeding under burlap cover

As I recall my conversations with Jon Rowley about the Interbay method (so named because of where in Seattle they were) the burlap was used to aid in moisture retention and to keep unwanted seeds ("weeds") from sprouting, so if you want to germinate seeds in your beds you will need to remove the burlap for the time needed.

o

Thanks. I am wondering however alsi if I can cut some small holes to do this. Can anyone enlighten me furthee....I'd very much like to retain yhe burlap all season otherwise aa weed control. And I have seen some advice elsewhere that initial sprouting can benefit from the protection until germination. What have others done? I am still a little confused as to how to go. I read the Seattle Ppatch info on it but didnt find it gelpful on this particular ussue.

o

Before I began the SFG program I laId down a barrier of weed preventive material.
Cut holes where my plants were to be set, a few stones to keep material in place and thats all it took for me.
Everything grew nicely

o

Thanks...was that seeds or just transplants??

o

Thanks...was that seeds or just transplants??

o

Plants I picked up at our local flower shop.
I never did seeds that way

o

I use a few things to keep in moisture when planting seeds. Black landscape fabric or two layers of newspapers.

I like burlap, but its rather expensive, and also too rough.

But covering with a mesh like hardware cloth seems even more practical. Or the birds or other animals eat the seed.

o

I have a large hill behind my house that I have seeded with wildflowers and then covered with burlap. Will the plants come through the burlap or should the seeds have been planted on top of the burlap?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here