Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushroom Compost vs. Manure Compost

Posted by newbiegardener101 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 21:41

What is the difference between mushroom compost and manure compost? (other than the obvious) Is one better than the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushroom Compost vs. Manure Compost

As others have said, mushroom compost varies from place to place - the nearest one to here comes from a mushroom operation that uses chicken manure-and-something (sawdust, when I was watching) which is first composted (they use some big machinery), sterilized with steam, inoculated with Mushroom spores, and when they're done and harvested, the stuff is bagged up and sold.

o

All "mushroom" compost starts out as animal manure and becomes "mushroom" compost after mushrooms are grown in it.

o

What is the purpose of growing mushrooms in it?

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 15, 09 at 8:18

What a great question -- you made me look it up.
I read somewhere (not sure if true) that mushroom compost is usually basic (and for that reason, not to be used on my blueberries). That would be one difference.

Mushroom compost is a by-product of mushroom farming.

I think it does not have as much nitrogen as manure compost (since the mushrooms used most of it already) and there's a warning that the salts in pure mushroom compost may burn seedlings. Depending on the supplier, it may also have pesticide residues?!

Ok, now I'm wondering WHY I put 2 bags of it on the veggie bed instead of using cheaper chicken manure compost. Phooey!
:(

o

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Fri, May 15, 09 at 8:31

These dudes oughta know about mushroom compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Mushroom Institute (AMI)

o

Don't take this as the gospel truth but I was always told you had to watch mushroom compost if you are using it for food because often the mushroom farms used horse manure which has the potential to contain many more residual medications than cow manure because what you are allowed to put in a cow is regulated because it is considered food when a horse is not.

FWIW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here