Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Question

Posted by bdk111 VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:45

A couple of weeks ago, i put in top soil in my garden. Today, I had my red oak tree cut down and now my garden has a top layer of tree/stump shaving..

I would like to plant a few of my heirloom chilli plants, and couple of other random seed pods (purchased from local home depot) into the soil. This is my first time in the garden and failure means I get dissuaded to try again.

Will the shavings hurt the soil? I used a rake and mixed the shavings into the soil as much as possible. If at all possible, I would like to plant this weekend.

Please help... what can I do? Or have i done enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Question

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 23:00

My guess is that your garden will do OK with the red oak shavings mixed into the topsoil. However, as the fungi multiply, feeding off the chips, they will take up some of the nitrogen from the soil, leaving less available for the green plants that you are trying to grow. This will not kill the plants, but they might not get as big and lush as you had expected. Many people are using shredded tree leaves as mulch around garden plants, successfully, and these eventually rot. Plants don't seem to mind growing near rotting wood or rotting tree leaves.

o

Thank you Ericwi.

What if I put in a couple of days worth of used coffee grounds and mix it with the soil? Would that help?

o

It's generally a good idea to avoid mixing wood into soil due to the potential for nitrogen depletion. As mulch, on top of the ground, it is not in as much contact with the soil and can also draw N from the air, so the effect is not as pronounced.

Coffee grounds won't hurt. You will need to watch your plants for signs of insufficient nitrogen, and fertilize if necessary.

o

Thank you to all for your advice. I made the mistake of raking in the shavings with the soil prior to asking for help. But will use the used coffee grounds for the next couple of days and then plant my seedlings this weekend as planned.

Hopefully they bloom and i can use fertilizer/additional coffee grounds as needed directly around my plants if they look like they need them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here