Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
store bought compost

Posted by eyesofthewolf 8b (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 21:50

I need to vent to someone, I just bought a label "Organic compost" and when I opened the bag it smelled just like diesel fuel, of course I didn`t use it but I thought what if I would have had a cold or didn`t catch a whiff, I would have killed all my newly planted peppers and tomatoes, I so wish I could produce enough of my own homemade stuff so that I wouldn`t have to trust some company and who knows what goes into it. Oh well buyer beware. I wonder am I the only one who smells the compost? Or is that just a compost wacko thing? :o)Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: store bought compost

• Posted by pt03 3 Southern Manitoba (My Page) on
    Sun, May 9, 10 at 23:11

Hi Deanna

I bought a bag of "compost" from a local store when I first started composting to compare it to what I was making. It smelled like the bio-solids the city spreads on the farmland. I e-mailed the company whose name was on the bag, they said they buy the stuff on various contracts across the country and had no idea what went into it.

Never bought another one.

Lloyd

o

Deanna,

I can't speak for anyone else, but I smell my compost with every milk crate I sift. I finally realized just the other day why I find it so familiar and pleasant. My compost smells just like an old bait shop my Dad always frequented. It puzzled me at first why compost reminded me of a bait shop, until I remembered this bait shop owner grew his own worms and would let us kids dig around in the worm bins. If my compost smells like a worm ranch, I must be doing something right.

o

Deanna - I am glad you didn't put that stuff on your new plants. Sad how smelly store bought stuff might turn people off to the idea of using compost. What sort of limitations are keeping you from making enough of your own?

o

Just the term "Organic Compost" should alert someone since that is kind of an oxymoron. I have often wondered what "Inorganic Compost" would be like.

o

Thanks guys, being serious composters I knew you would feel my pain lol. Mustard seeds, last year I started my composting endevors and this year I made 6 new raised beds 5 4x8s and one 2x40 all 2 feet deep or more so the little that I had made from last year didn`t provide the amount that I needed, maybe one day my composting will equal to the amount of the beds, but not for new set ups. I am sure I will always be jealous of Llyods super sized compost! :o)Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here