Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Leaves From Curbside

Posted by Pd0xGard_ (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 22:21

A few years ago when I first started composting, I raked up the leaves on our block from the curbside on my street. I was told it may not be the best idea to use those in my compost as they could have oil residue etc on them from cars n such...how big a deal is this exactly? I wanted to amend my veggie garden area, but was afraid to use my almost finish compost after a few years of not always managing my pile frequently. It has had several hot cycles (over 145F) over the course of a few years. It's been mainly a add as I go pile, never quite getting 3 x 3 x 3 at any one time, but as I said, I did have a few really hot times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Leaves From Curbside

How long were the leaves there before you raked them up? How much traffic passed by?
The longer the leaves were there, and the more traffic there was, the greater the chance they would have picked up some oil and rubber from that traffic, but if a few days are probably even a couple of weeks there would not be enough to be concerned about. Six months, a year, maybe so.

o

I once to a new neighborhood once where I put out door hangers offering to remove leaves and owner made check payable to the local fire fighters fund. Them folks loved their fire fighters and I had more leaves than I could geather. I contacted a couple of community activists that expanded the plan so all was well in the end. So caveat,be carful what you wish for because you might get it.

o

In my professional opinion there is nothing to worry about here. When there are no leaves, how much oil is running around in the street? None, I'll wager. Maybe a few spots from parked cars. Leaves laying in the street for a few days (or even weeks) could not possibly pick up enough to be a problem.

Motor oil, while not a healthy food, is less toxic than lighter petroleum products (diesel and gasoline). Hydrocarbons are somewhat biodegradable anyway, so the minute traces that were there are even more minute after composting.

Actually, there is probably more airborne deposition of pollutants from car exhaust all over your yard throughout the year, than what could be found in fall leaves. If the one isn't a problem, the other shouldn't be.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Tue, May 27, 14 at 18:13

I'd have no concerns with using these leaves.

Lloyd

o

So, Tox, what is that sheen I see on the water that accumulates on roads after a rain? What are those little black specks found on a white filter paper when that water is run through? Why does rainwater collected from roads sometimes burn?

o

So, Tox, what is that sheen I see on the water that accumulates on roads after a rain? ( shineola?) What are those little black specks found on a white filter paper when that water is run through? ( fly specks ?) Why does rainwater collected from roads sometimes burn? ( IDK but maybe the key to our energy shortage ).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here