Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klem1

Anyone ever composted Azolla ?

klem1
10 years ago

I had never heard of it until it showed up in my pond for the first time in 30 years. I harvested about 20 cu ft and put in a bin to compost but it grows back as fast as it is removed. I am in zip 75098 if you want any. Access to the pond is now until noon 6-21 then 6-28 thru 7-2 and after 7-15. I can only respond during those same dates.
Interesting read about how it is/has been used. Anyone have expertise on it? My primary concurn is wherther it extracts or supplys oxygenation in the fish pond. Secoundary intrest is composting more of it after catching up on other things 7-14.

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Azola, Mosquito Fern, is a fast growing plant that can invade still ponds and can deplete the water of oxygen. Everything I have seen says if it invades your pond get rid of it as soon as possible.

• TXEB
    10 years ago

Azolla is interesting stuff. It's been used as a "green manure" in the transplant rice fields of China and SE Asia for more than a thousand years. As green plants go, it's pretty high in N (2-4 %). It's been studied for use as an animal feed, and a biological fertilizer, particularly in India and Latin America. Folks at the University of Hawaii have done a fair amount of work on it with an interest in possibly using it as a green manure or companion plant in taro ponds. Researchers at UC Davis have studied it for possible use as a companion plant or green manure in broadcast planted rice fields (which is the way we grow rice in TX and LA too).

In TX the Aggies aren't so fond of it. They describe Azollas (Mosquito Ferns) as "aggressive invaders in quiet ponds and are often found mixed in with duckweeds or watermeal". They further note, "If these fern colonies cover the surface of the water, then oxygen depletions and fish kills can occur.", and recommend that it be controlled before it can cover the entire surface of a pond. URL to the Aggie page on Mosquito Fern, Azolla
    http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/mosquito-fern/

A link to the U of HI's Fact Sheet on Azolla follows below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azolla - University of Hawaii at Manoa

• ofpete
    9 years ago

Our pond got infected with it, apparently brought in on the feet of waterfowl coming from other infested areas. I started harvesting it on a minor scale, letting it drain overnight to get rid of a lot of the moisture. Then I shredded it with a SunJoe electric leaf shredder along with straw poultry litter, both at the same time. Made a pile, watering with each couple of fork fulls, and 24 hours later the soil thermometer is registering over130 degrees. So apparently it composts very well. Waiting to see the final outcome.
    Our tenant is raising free range pigs and is starting to harvest azolla for them. Says they prefer it to spent barley mash from the local microbrewery. Anyone else tried it as a stock feed?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Might work as part of the feed for some livestock. If you have chickens, just let them work over the pile of fresh stuff.

http://theazollafoundation.org/azollas-uses/as-a-livestock-feed/

• klem1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since this thread has come to the top again I'll add comments. What Kimmser and txb said is the main thing one needs to know. If it shows up in your fish pond,get rid of it quick as possible. In the short span between 6-20 and 7-14 it completly ingulfed the pond,killed 100% of my channel cat fish, black bass, bluegill and flat head minnow. By 7-30 the Azolla was gone. The limited amount i was able to hearvest due to busy scedule was composted with very little other added material. During the short invasion I was able to move the initial cu yd to a secound bin twice while layering wet newly hearvested as I went along. Tempature went up each time fresh material,air and water was incorpirated. The plie sit until this spring when I broke it down. About 70% (the inner core) was nice looking finished compost. I hope I never see any more of the stuff but if I do and it's on my property on on another's while I need material,I will compost it. In comparison to leaves and grass clippings I believe Azolla composts easier. Were I offered a choice of livestock manure or Azolla,I will certainly take the manure but as they say "if life gives you lemons,make lemonade".

• ofpete
    9 years ago

Two days later and my pile with azolla in it is at 150 degrees, the hottest I have ever experienced in a compost pile. Got up to 140 with grape pomace once but this one may spontaneously combust!

I also started something else this afternoon that I hope someone with a lot more bio chemical/physiological smarts than mine can comment on. Shredded about 3 lb of Azolla and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Fiiled rest of bucket with water and inserted three aereators fed by an aquarium pump to run air through as in making compost tea. Will any bio chemical reaction take place from the mix being oxygenated? Will the water become infused with nutrients from the ground-up Azolla? Have I discovered green gold manure?

• klem1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was behind the barn while they were passing out bio chemic,,,,,,,, that stuff like you said. However,common cyfering makes me think the oxygen will nourish the plant allowing it to multiply. Our ponds were seeded by plant parts which florished until oxygen depleted then it died.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!