Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I deserve the award

Posted by klem1 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 0:48

Well that is unless somone makes a better case than this. Mid-summer of 07 or 08 I spoted colorful plants in beds of a vacant office building while on my routine monthly vist. Annuals had long ago died and perrinial shrubs were wilting and bearly surviving the hot dry Tx weather. I had recently completed a bed at my home that was in need of a low maintanance plant. I finnaly pryed eight or ten plants from the hard cracked soil and transplanted to my new bed. When I constructed the bed I did so with the knowledge it would recive minium care. Dug 8" of compost and 2" of castings into top 12" of soil. From that summer to 2013 I lost 1 or 2 plants each year and propagated an equal number in pots to replace them. 2013 I said enough is enough and gave the bed almost as much attention but didn't replace strugling or dying plants. This spring one plant emerged and has reach about 3" tall. So what's the award I believe I deserve? The failure against all odds trophy unless youall have ever topped my failed attempt at growing,,,,,,,purple heart wandering jew. No I havn't nor do i plan a soil sample. IMO,any fool that can't stick that stuff in a freeway median and have it prosper shouldn't waste money trying to grow any thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I deserve the award

I have grown a few "late drop" live oak trees, they live one winter, I touted them as zone 6 hardy Live oaks, and this past Harsh winter, mine died except for 2 coming up from the mulchline. They will grow up again, but in the next harsh winter they will croak again. I mentioned this tree over and over as zone 6 hardy. Good thing most folks waited for my updates, over the winter, waiting likely for a harsh winter. They didn't have to wait long. Sorry for your misfortune, Texas is dry and brutal from what I heard, at least the more Western portion.

o
RE: I deserve the award

Last fall I rescued 20 large potted Belgian Mums from a hardware store dumpster. They were in bloom but not standing up like regular mums, they were more of a creeping groundcover almost. Anyway I gave them away left and right and planted a couple in my own beds. Nice for a few weeks till frost. This spring they did not come back - Belgian mums must not be winter hardy. And I told everyone they would produce 'hundreds of blossoms' after reading up on them. Oh well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here