Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovestogrow

clay soil

lovestogrow
13 years ago

I would like to loosen the clay soil in my garden to a deeper depth. I have added compost and the top 4-5 inches is workable but underneath that it is hard as a rock. Is there something I can plant that has a large root system that will loosen it up?

Comments (5)

• lovestogrow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought I would add this. The reason I need to loosen the soil is for drainage purposes.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

It will take some time but that organic matter (compost) will, eventually, loosen that subsoil and improve the drainage. Just keep adding more organic matter every year and things will improve.
    While that does not help an awful lot with the immediate problem it will, eventually.

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

lovestogo .... The operative word in kimmsr's advice is EVENTUALLY. And it comes wrapped in a lot of sweat. But there is one thing about clay .... once you add the OM and sweat, it will outshine all other kinds of soil.

One thing that worked for my clay/DG-combo was double-digging. In the pathways, I dug [to China]and burried twigs and newspaper etc topped with soil mixed with steer manure then carboard and a thin layer of chopped tree trimmings. Then, for the planting beds, something similar wi/o the twigs and newspaper. At first I used bagged compost combined with the soil. Then used my own compost when it was ready. In a few years, I repeated the same routine in the pathways .... mostly as a way to dispose of tree trimmings too big to mulch ...and the previous stuff had melded into very nice loamy soil. That got put into my raised beds and replaced with more sticks, paper,steer,etc. Well, you get the idea ... dig, and dig some more.

Re: what to plant with clay-busting roots. Swiss Chard worked well for me. The roots go to China, the plant is easy to grow, nice looking, tasty, and unused leaves great on the compost pile.

This link shows the root structure of various vegetables.
    You'll note that Swiss Chard roots go down 6'
    http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Double digging

• kristof
    13 years ago

Hello
    I have a house with 1 acre of yard. The soil is all clay. When the rainy day is over my soil stays wet for the next 2-3 days. I can't cut the grass because there is too much water on my yard. How I can improve my soil quality for the whole 1 acre? Does Home Depot have a some kind of mixture that I can use while watering my lawn that will improve my soil?
    Please help me. :-(

Thank You

• luckygal
    13 years ago

There are plants which have deep roots but some you may not want in your garden - the dandelion is one, and there are other beneficial weeds also. Other plants which may be more acceptable are lupines, sunflowers, and alfalfa. I'm sure you will find more if you google.

I'm not sure how effective planting such plants would be if the clay layer is very thick and dry. It might help if you water well, then use a fork to make holes in the clay (might be easier than double-digging). This might enable some organic matter to enter the clay and start the process of breaking it up. Deep rooted plants may then continue this process. Don't expect fast results, it will take time. In our clay soil we find earthworm burrows in the thick clay base so I know they are helping to aerate this layer and it's one of the reason I do whatever I can to encourage their reproduction. Double-digging in our clay soil is a pick-axe job so not something we do in too many areas.

You might also plant a cover crop of something like field peas which, when plowed/turned under will enrich the soil.

If you are not averse to 'buying products' to improve soil you might get some humic acid. It's supposed to help in making clay soils more workable.

Thanks for that link on root structure, Barb, it looks like a good one.

Kristof, you might get more help if you start your own thread. Without more info it's difficult to know what you need to do to improve your drainage problems altho I expect soil building to be part of what is necessary. I'll give you a couple of links which may help you understand soil.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/soil/
    http://www.richsoil.com/lawn-care.jsp