Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oyster shells for garden or compost?

Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 10:00

hello everyone,

we are bbqing a bunch of oysters today for a party and I was wondering if i should save the shells for use in my vegetable garden.

I know in the past, my dad would bury the shells with plants and trees but he doesn't have the greenest thumb so i thought I would try to get advice here.

should i compost them? save them for next year and plant them in holes dug out for fruit trees or vegetable garden.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oyster shells for garden or compost?

It seems to me that you would want to pulverize your shells prior to introducing them into the garden. I don't think they'll break down very easily on their own.

Maybe you could let the kids (if you have invited any) whack the shells with a hammer.

Here is a link that might be useful: oyster shell

o

As is they could go in the garden path, it would be a Williamsburg garden. I'd crush 'em for the garden. If you are going to plant fruit trees next year the planting holes might be a good place for them w/ out the work of crushing them.

o
Williamsburg garden

o

I just bought some after reading they are a good snail and slug repellent. I think the critters are cut by the sharp edges. I'm going to encircle a plant or two and see what happens.
Ginny

o

You could compost them, although it is unlikely they will be digested by the time you apply the compost to your soil, or you could put them directly on your garden. Eventually they will add some Calcium to the soil, but that would be several years from now. If crushed fairly finely they could be a deterent to slugs and snails, as well as earthworms.

o

I'd smash or crush them to bits and add them to the compost. In fact, I have a little stack of them next to my compost pile waiting to be smashed.

They'll release nutrients over time (especially calcium) and will improve the aeration of your pile and the tilth of the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here