Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
compost in tumbler didn't get hot

Posted by sawyerkirk (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:41

So, I filled my tumbler with 5 gallons of fresh rabbit manure, 10 gallons of horse manure and 10 gallons of chicken litter. My chicken litter is a probably more hardwood sawdust than manure. then filled the rest of my 50 gallon tumbler with wheat straw. I know I am probably shy on the straw. the mixture never got hot. it's been 2 weeks. any suggestions on what I should do? I have some room in there now for something more, or should I dump it and start a new batch? If I dump it can I add the same straw back in? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: compost in tumbler didn't get hot

It doesn't need to get hot to make compost, and the volume of a tumbler is probably too small to retain much heat anyway. The rule of thumb is at least a cubic yard for a hot pile, and that's with the bottom insulated by the ground.

If your batch is deficient in N though, it will take a long time to get compost. If it seems like the straw is not breaking down, you can add more greens. Are you putting your kitchen scraps in every couple of days?

One problem with a tumbler is that compost takes awhile to 'finish', i.e. the long cool curing stage after initial breakdown. Where do you put new stuff in the meantime? As soon as you have one pile (or tumbler) you need a second one. A cheaper option is to empty it into a wire cage or bin and let it cure awhile while you start a new batch.

o

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:13

I've not had a lot of luck with using wheat straw in any of my tumblers. It might get hot for a very short period (couple of days) in the large tumblers and then pfft, nothing. I remember reading something about too much lignin or something like that in straw. In any event it doesn't work well for me in tumblers for thermophilic composting.

And as Tox stated tumblers generally do not have enough volume to create a lot of heat.

Lloyd

This post was edited by pt03 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:48

o

How wet was the mix?
Tumblers are too small in volume to generate much heat even if the mix is close to optimal, and more often then not I have found the mix in tumbler composters was too wet.

o

It worked well last summer, I made several batches that I am now utilizing in the garden. I will add some more greens and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here