Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
producing tons of green/ not much fruit

Posted by gardenchef420 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 11:41

I built a raised bed this spring and filled it with compost I bought from blue hen organics. my garden is looking very very nice, my swiss chard ,spinach, and herbs did or still are doing great. I see tons of green vegetation and even small cucumbers but very little actual production. my tomatoes seem very well, tall green and lots of green fruit, but eggplant, peppers, and cucs just are all leaves and flowers? is there too much nitrogen and or how do I mend? I had a zucchini also that I just pulled because it was so enormous it was 6 foot tall and even wider in circumference but only produced about five or six very small squash?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: producing tons of green/ not much fruit

where are you ... and how late was spring ... here in MI ... this sounds about right.. considering spring was about a month behind schedule ....

are you sure its not the anticipation killing you.. rather than a garden problem???

a pic might also help ...

it could be excess nitro ... but thats a leap based on what you have told us ...

ken

o
RE: producing tons of green/ not much fruit

Good compost should have plenty of P and K and everything else, but I thought maybe too much N as well. Normally you don't need to grow in 100% compost. A blend of soil and compost is just fine. Raised beds are also not always necessary, it's OK to amend the soil you have underneath. If this problem persists all season, next year dig and mix with the underlying soil and don't add so much compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here