Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crushed egg shell application?

Posted by sfg_newbie 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 12:11

I go through maybe a dozen eggs a month. Since my soil needs calcium, I've been crushing the shells and adding them to the compost pile, but I was thinking that maybe that isn't wise and it would be better to collect the ground egg shells and incorporate them into the soil when I add other ammendments in the spring and fall to get their maximum "oomph" into the soil.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crushed egg shell application?

Calcium doesn't evaporate. So it ought to come out the same whether you put the eggshells in the compost and then put the compost in the garden or put the eggshells in the garden directly, unless one or the other approach somehow makes the calcium more bioavailable to plants.

Also, um, you know, if your soil really does need calcium, a dozen eggs a month isn't really going to make much of a difference any time soon.

o

It's better to put them in the compost or soil than to put them in the landfill.

But Alfie's right, if your soil does need calcium, grind up the eggshells quite fine, and add some lime or bonemeal, too.

Sue

o

My hubby insists that it is better to put the crushed eggshells directly into the garden. In particular he had me sprinkle some into the soil under each tomato I planted in the past week. Certainly the calcium goes directly to plants that will appreciate it as opposed to being dissipated into the large quantity of compost.

Also when I am planting I often sprinkle the crushed eggshells on the soil to delineate places I have already planted beans or whatever. We keep the eggshells in a quart plastic yogurt container with a small fat piece of wood which we use to squash them from time to time. When the container gets full we put it into the soil, or put the lid on and save it until we will be working with the soil somehow. Also good to add it under bulbs.

Marcia

o

The calcium in egg shells will not be very readily available to they plants anytime very soon since it will take the Soil Food Web some time to make that calcium available, years most likely. Composting them is better since any Ca would be a bit more spread out both in the compost pile as it is built and in the garden as the compost is spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here