Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to build a trommel (rotary screen) compost sifter

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 13:19

Hi friends,

I've occasionally seen posts on this forum regarding compost sifters so I thought you all might enjoy seeing this Instructable I published on the web today which shows how I build a small trommel to sift compost and leaf mulch from my city leaf pile.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Trommel-Compost-Sifter/

Your comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to build a trommel (rotary screen) compost sifter

Cool! I always wanted to make one of those and your design is great - rugged and simple. I want to make one as wide as my pickup truck so I can shovel it right in at the mulch site and have the woody chunks (ours has a lot of limbs etc.) spill out onto the ground on the other side, leaving the yummy stuff in the truck.

o

>> I want to make one as wide as my pickup truck
>> so I can shovel it right in at the mulch site
>> and have the woody chunks (ours has a lot of
>> limbs etc.) spill out onto the ground on the
>> other side, leaving the yummy stuff in the truck.

That's a great plan! Probably if you would make the drum about twice as long (2 - 36inch pieces of hardware cloth) it would be about right for going across the width of your truck. Take a buddy along to keep the drum turning continuously and shovel away! :)

- Steve

o

My sifter is a wood square and a screen made of 1/4" mesh hardware and two large door handles to shake it.

The sifter with the motor is great! The simple one shows imagination. I would not have thought of using bicycle parts for structure and drivetrain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here