Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florenceoregon

Composting aged horse manure

florenceoregon
15 years ago

I bought a small truck load of aged horse manure, has rocks in it, thats all I can tell, dark soil color no smell. After reading posts I decided to put it into my new compost pile, after screening some rocks out. I layered straw, ucg, manure, some kitchen scraps, watered as I went. Pile 3X3X3.

Is this what I should do with the pile of horse manure? I asked for the old stuff. I still have a huge pile of it. What do you suggest? Thanks Stephanie

Comments (7)

• toxcrusadr
    15 years ago

It's already composted - why not just use it instead of recomposting it. You could dig it in if you are still planting this late, or use it as a side dressing/mulch to feed your plants. You won't gain much by recomposting it, and in fact some of it will go away when you do.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

It's already composted - why not just use it instead of recomposting it.

It may or may not be already composted. It may be aged but that doesn't mean it is composted - they aren't the same thing. ;)

Were multiple other ingredients added to the pile at the source? Was it turned/mixed at all? If no, then it isn't composted it is just aged and adding it to your compost pile is a good move.

If just aged, how long did it age in that pile? Minimum recommendation is 4-6 months. If you don't know how long then adding it to your compost pile is also the right move.

I assume you know that your compost pile doesn't have to be limited to 3x3x3? That is just the minimum requirement. But it can be as large as you can work with effectively.

So if you have manure left over you have 3 options: (1) make your existing compost pile larger if you have sufficient other ingredients to add to it, (2) make an additional compost pile if you have enough other ingredients to add to it, or (3) let the remainder of the manure age all on its own in a separate location until this fall and then till it into your garden.

Adding straight manure of an unknown age to a garden that is currently in production is NOT advised. Do so at your own risk.

Dave

• fuzzy158
    15 years ago

I have been given some manure, too much to put in my compost pile at once. It was given to me in plastic garbage bags. Is it ok to leave it in the bags to age, or do i need to do something else with it untilI can compost it?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Is it ok to leave it in the bags to age, or do i need to do something else with it untilI can compost it?

Best to dump it out into a pile that can get air. It will quickly turn anaerobic in the bags and stink to high heavens. ;)

Dave

• Diane Clayton
    15 years ago

Adding straight manure of an unknown age to a garden that is currently in production is NOT advised. Do so at your own risk.

Digdirt, I'd like to learn more. Please tell me what the risk is. Will harvesting and consuming vegetables mulched with aged manure make one sick? Is it some kind of latent pathogen to be concerned about? Thank you.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Pathogens and meds/antibiotics are the primary concerns. Studies show a pronounced uptake of any antibiotics in the manure by many garden vegetables and also show that both e-coli and salmonella can remain quite active in manure for up to two years and can contaminate food stuffs - especially root crops and low-growing leafy greens.

Check out the discussion here about "salmonella from fresh chicken manure" linked below for the reference links.

But the key point I was making was "aged for unknown length of time"... Manure that has been properly composted, not just aged all by itself, but composted with a mixture of other ingredients so that it cooks, for a period of 6 months (some approve 4 months but most say 6) is considered safe to use in an active garden.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Salmonella from...discussion

• Diane Clayton
    15 years ago

Dave, thank you. I guess I should consider myself lucky as I too got some what I then considered composted horse manure. After reading your post I realize I probably got aged manure. I mixed it with wood chips and used it to mulch lettuce and parsley in the spring. I used the "if it doesn't smell like horse manure it's okay to use" concept when I decided to use it. We have since eaten lots of the lettuce and parsley and have had no visible ill effects. The antibiotics are a concern but what's done is done. I've added some of the manure to my compost pile with the thought that I would use it next spring. I guess I'm curious how hot the compost mixture has to get and how long the temperature has to be sustained for in order to be considered safe for vegetable gardens.

Thanks again for the input.