Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coir vs peat

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 14:30

My verdict is in. I had coir around from using it for my frog and I started using even more since I am growing crickets and when I added to my compost pile, I got even more compost that was better. It seems to up the bulk of my finished compost, and it won't shed water like peat and it last longer then peat. I just used it on a potted plant for the first time. Miracle Grow mix is just peat moss and perlite and it costs so much. I got bad results with it. The plant do ok, at first then they die due to bad drainage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coir vs peat

Sounds like you should use the coir, you already use it for pets. I personally like coir better, but it isn't available cheaply here in Pa. I don't think using peat to make compost is what most folks use anyway. Peat can't compost down any more than it already is. It is know for drying out unless mixed with soil and even needing that ground to be mulched, that is my personal experience only, though. Coir makes good mulch.

o
RE: coir vs peat

Coir is too light for a mulch and too expensive, but what I added to the compost pile from the pets did increase the yield. I bought jumbo sized bags of coir in a pet store, but I still buy cheaper sheared wood for my browns. Coir is not really a brown, but it does really increase the bulk/yield and the plants seem to like it a lot. I can't say I would buy it, if I did not have the pets, but it does beat peat moss. And peat is looking like 40 dollars for a large bag. I use compost or the sheared wood for a mulch if I feel I need to mulch. And for potted plants, but I was not using peat in my compost bin anyway at those prices. It's more of a potted thing, but then when you transplant or dump the plants, then all more coir for your bin. I think coir would blow away here as a mulch, I have western facing garden, and strong winds always blow away stuff. I do wish I could get it cheaper in nursery sized bags instead of pet sized bags.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here