Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it ok to use juniper chips as a ground cover?

Posted by gwald 9B (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 15:35

hi - is it ok to use juniper chips as a ground cover? I took out some out-of-hand juniper bush/trees. I want to have them chipped and then use it to spread on the dirt around shrubs, etc. These were healthy trees, just too gnarly!

Any down-side to this?

thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it ok to use juniper chips as a ground cover?

Nope - have at it.

o

• Posted by TXEB 9a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 20:15

It will be great lasting mulch. If you're putting it around exiting plants first pile it up like a compost pile and turn it weekly for 3-4 weeks to allow it to partially decompose aerobically. The potential problem is "sour mulch", which is the emission of volatile organic acids (e.g., formic acid) that occurs in the early stages of wood decomposition. It can and does kill plants. See link below for more on sour mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sour Mulch - Solvita

o

If your wood chip mulch is kept to a reasonable depth, 3 to 4 inches at most, it will not generate enough heat for that pyrolisis to occur. I have seen what the article is about on rare occassions when wood chips are stored in such a way that they can generate quite a bit of heat and are not allowed to cool down before application.

o

thank you for all of the information!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here