Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange tree leaves? Mulch questions...

Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 16:01

Hi all, I'm looking for mulch for my raised veggie garden beds - two 4'x4' beds using SFG methods, so not a lot of square footage to have to cover. I've been using leftover composted soil amendment I purchased but looking for a new (free?) source.

I've got a big orange tree that sheds leaves all over the yard and a light bulb went off - is there any reason citrus won't work? Should I shred and just lay them around them around the plants (a few inches from the plant stems)? If I've seen whitefly/insects on the tree at various times, but it's healthy right now should I be concerned with transporting pests/disease?

The other thing I have is newspaper - I'm sure that topic is well-trod territory around here - but I'm looking for the best solution for small veggie garden in Southern California (hot, dry). Straw seems to win the award in many discussions - and I will look for a source but haven't found one yet in urban LA.

Any advice much appreciated!!! Thanks all!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange tree leaves? Mulch questions...

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 21:12

You would think it is hard to find straw in urban Los Angeles but it's not. You just need to know where to look. There are way more people with horses in their yard than you would ever believe. East Valley Feed and Tack has it. I would image near the Equestrian Center would be a good place to look as well. But I bet you will hate it for SFG unless you shred it first.

Shredded citrus leaves would be fine but yeah, no infestations

o

• Posted by slowjane Los Angeles USDA 10- (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 21:46

Thanks for the tip about straw sources....What mulch would you recommend for SFG gardens nil13?

o

What material to use as mulch depends on what you can get the most of and at what cost. Spending lots of money on material generally is not necessary.
For example, a person I know raked up and threw away leaves that were doing a good job of suppressing "weed" growth and replaced them with $3.00 per 2 cubic foot bag of pine nuggets that are spread too thin to suppress the growth of anything, so now that bed needs regular applications of "weed" killers to keep them from growing. The leaves were free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here