Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlangend1120

You might be a compost wacko if...

dlangend1120
11 years ago

*You trim the bushes and trees around the yard, but before putting them out for municipal recycling, you strip each and every leaf off each and every branch. Because, to paraphrase Michael Palin, every leaf is sacred.

*Your wife and daughter have been trying to get you to get a smartphone for over a year and you realized today when you were out at the compost pile that if you had a smartphone, you could post here on soil, compost & mulch forum as the ideas came to you...

Comments (20)

• hortster
    11 years ago

A true whacko would compost the branches. Following your chain of thought, every branch is sacred, too. Smartphones, also, do not compost well, either (never tried, but...plastics...).
    hortster

• Laurel Zito
    11 years ago

If you have a lot of bins or piles or batches going all at once and you want even more. If you drive around collecting items on trash day so you can have even more compost.

• jolj
    11 years ago

you stack up more compost then you can use in 3 years & trying to find new materials to compost.{{gwi:294922}}

• Laurel Zito
    11 years ago

Are all those bags compost? You should use it right away so you don't get behind with these things. I don't have a lot of storage space myself.

• feijoas
    11 years ago

...if you actually notice and compare how many times the corn cobs go through the pile in summer vs winter...

• calypsobloomer
    11 years ago

you join a forum to talk about compost.

• dlangend1120
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hortster, you sound like a Kansan. It was just a joke, man, and plus the branches come back in free city mulch. And well, so what if the smartphones are plastic, just what kind of hippie are you? As we say, the only good thing to come out of Kansas is I-70...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

...making sure I have popcorn on hand in case a ? dust ? slinging contest ensues...

...if this discussion makes you want to put that silly old phone in your junk drawer in the pile, just to see, u know...

You bring compostables home when having dinner at somebody's house who doesn't compost.

You can "train" those people to start saving some "stuff that's not too gross" for your pile.

You can convert someone from "No way, that's too icky for my yard" to "Look at my pile!"

The yard waste truck never stops at your house, because you don't put anything out for it.

You've ever accidentally created some kind of bug colony inside your house... AND, in order, your thoughts are, "Wow that's so cool!" Then, "OMG that's got to GO!"

• hortster
    11 years ago

purpleinopp, no sense in slinging dust with a stubborn Missouri mule that couldn't see that my post was also "just a joke, man..." including the riff about the smartphone. Guess if you're from the "show me state" you just need to be shown. doowad, that was a joke, too! ;)
    hortster

• dlangend1120
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Yeah, I can "dig" that. Peace to you, my compost wacko friend.

• hortster
    11 years ago

Outta sight and far out. Compost whackos may not share states, but for sure, dude, states of mind. Biodegrade on!
    70's hippie, hortster

• Laurel Zito
    11 years ago

Corn cobs must take like 5 years, they never work for me, I put them in city wide compost. I actually do put lots of stuff in city wide because I reject things that are too slow. Did you ever drink mighty leaf tea? The bags are made of silk and never do break down as far as I know. It would be composting old cotton underpants. It would just be more trouble then it was worth or take 10 years or seeing them again and again.

• feijoas
    11 years ago

TT, an enormous log would be gone in 5 years in my compost, let alone corn cobs and underpants...
    Which brings me back to...if you are emotionally torn by the need to be 'fair' and share out goodies between mulching the garden and feeding the compost.
    I'm creating hugelkultur beds this winter, so I'll have to be even fairer in my sharing.No more logs for you, compost!

Here is a link that might be useful: hugelkultur

• idaho_gardener
    11 years ago

That's odd about the corn cobs. In my compost pile, they seem to dissolve into something that looks like, and is as soft as, tiramisu, before they disappear into the compost, within a month or so.

• jolj
    11 years ago

TT, the bags were dumped from a dump truck over a 8 week period. It has layed there for over a year, the whole beans do not break down unless they are hot composted & turned, so some of it is not "Finished" compost. But I till it in or use it as a Under mulch to keep light off weed seeds & mulch with straw or grass clipping on top.
    Hogs make light of corncobs, so you can grind/chop them up the did them composted.

• jolj
    11 years ago

I have an old corn field(about 9 acres) that has 10 year old pines & wild grasses in it. It has not been mowed in as many years, until this month, we pick up the clipping(35% green &65% dry grass) & put some between raised beds, which went though a heat where it lay. The rest we added to a compost pile.
    We are not finished mowing, the garden take most of my free time.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    9 years ago

Or in Michigan you could got this route: Binder Park Zoo.

Jenny Barnett, director of wildlife conservation and education at Binder Park Zoo, said the droppings are mixed with some hay, "but mostly it's just manure that's been turned several times, that's been there a long time," from 3 months to a year, she said. "We don't include carnivore or monkey poop," Barnett said. The zoo did not make manure available last year, so there is "yards and yards" of it now, Barnett said.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Thu, May 29, 14 at 11:55

• dennyav
    9 years ago

I trim my finger nails over the compost pile; does that count?

• Meuhey
    9 years ago

I ask all my colleagues to give me their banana peels.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

you drive around the neighborhood the night before trash pickup, looking for other people's bags of leaves.

you bring home things from restaurants & fast-food places.
    squeezed lemon wedges
    wadded-up napkins
    left-over food, coffee, tea.

Your friends know that if there's ever a garbage strike, it won't affect them because you'll be thrilled to get their compostables.