Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amending Leaf Compost

Posted by Alexgardener 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 18:15

In my vegetable garden and flower beds I've been using city recycled leaves that are composted into what seems to end as soil without any mineral content. I do not see it as mulch. At first I used it to amend my hard clay/sand mix structure of my soil (original soil was old worked farmland and then the home builders got to it) and then I just replaced this with about a two foot layer of this organic material using it like topsoil. The worms and plants love it, but it can become compacted if stepped upon (even more after its wet) and a good portion of it will dry out quickly, if not protected from the sun becoming loose. My main concern is compaction; thinking that since it is mostly all organic I could mix some sand in it,adding mineral content which might help ease compaction. I also thought about using wood chips and bark mulch to help change its structure. I have used fall leaves and worked that into my vegetable garden's soil with no change. Any suggestions on amending?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amending Leaf Compost

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 20:44

You never should have gotten rid of your mineral soil. What you want is mineral soil with about 10% organic matter by weight or 30% by volume. Out of curiosity, what possessed you to get rid of the soil.

o
RE: Amending Leaf Compost

Organic matter, those leaves, are not soil. Soil is composed of the mineral portion, the sand, silt, and clay particles, and that organic matter. Sand is the largest soil particle and has large spaces between soil particles that allow both water and nutrients flow through fairly quickly. Silt is much smaller in size as is clay and both tend to clump tightly together and prevent flow of water and nutrients. In addition to providing needed nutrients the purpose of organic matter in soils is to fill in the spaces between the sand particles so moisture and nutrients stay available to roots and to separate the silt and clay particles so moisture, nutrients, and plants roots can find each other.
Out in the woods behind the house I find Ma Nature keeps the soil there with organic matter in the range of 6 to 8 percent in the top 6 inches of soil provided we humans do not disrupt that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutrients in tree leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here