Return to the Soil Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GMO Straw?

Posted by doowad z6 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 18:16

I am not 100% opposed to GMO, but I am wary of it when I can. I was wondering how easy it would be to make sure that the straw you buy is not from GMO wheat. And if it is, do you think it makes a difference? As always, some wheat inevitably sprouts, but it won't cross breed with my tomatoes and I do pull up any thing that sprouts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GMO Straw?

• Posted by pt03 2b Southern Manitob (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 23:04

GMO (Roundup Ready) wheat is not approved nor grown in Canada. I don't think it has been approved in the U.S. either. I don't think any of the cereal grains are GMO (yet).

Lloyd

o

Lloyd obviously knows more than me on this already. I was going to say you'd have to ask your straw vendor where he gets the straw. But if there's really no GMO wheat in the US anyway, moot point.

Would it make a difference in the garden? No. It would be a real stretch.

o

I agree with tox, once it was composted would it matter if it was genetically modified? At least I think that is what you mean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soil Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here